Calculating Rotation Rate for a Diver Jumping from 13m High Tower

In summary, the question is about a diver jumping from a 13m high tower and wanting to complete 212 somersaults. The solution involves using the equation t = 1.628 s and finding the rotation rate in radians and dividing it by time.
nickb145

Homework Statement

A diver jumps from a 13m high tower, and hopes to complete 212 somersaults.
what should be the rotation rate be

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

13 m = (1/2)(9.81 m/s²)(t²)
t = 1.628 s

ω = 2.5 rev / 1.628 s
ω = 1.53 rev/s I'm still getting this wrong

Am I not using the correct equation for time?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the problem ?

Please post the problem statement so we can figure out what it is you're trying to figure out!

sorry sorry! now it is there

Ugh...Nevermind i figured it out. I needed ot find the Rotation in radians and divided it by the time.

How do you calculate the rotation rate for a diver jumping from a 13m high tower?

To calculate the rotation rate, you will need to know the height of the tower, the time of the jump, and the diver's angular velocity. The formula for rotation rate is: rotation rate = angular velocity / time.

What is the angular velocity of a diver jumping from a 13m high tower?

The angular velocity of a diver jumping from a 13m high tower can vary depending on their technique and body position. It is typically around 5 radians per second.

Is there a way to calculate the rotation rate without knowing the height of the tower?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the rotation rate without knowing the height of the tower. In this case, you will need to know the diver's angular velocity and the time of the jump. The formula for rotation rate is: rotation rate = angular velocity / time.

How does the rotation rate of a diver jumping from a 13m high tower affect their dive?

The rotation rate of a diver jumping from a 13m high tower can affect their dive in terms of the number of rotations they are able to complete and the speed of their rotation. A higher rotation rate can result in more rotations and a faster spin.

Can the rotation rate of a diver jumping from a 13m high tower be changed?

Yes, the rotation rate of a diver jumping from a 13m high tower can be changed by altering their technique, body position, and angular velocity. For example, a diver can increase their rotation rate by tucking their body into a tighter and more compact position.