1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation speed and work

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A turntable of radius 25 cm and rotational inertia 0.0154 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex] is spinning freely at 22.0 rpm about its central axis, with a 19.5-g mouse on its outer edge. The mouse walks from the edge to the center. Find (a) the new rotation speed and (b) the work done by the mouse.

2. Relevant equations

For part A

[tex]I[/tex](total) = [tex]I[/tex](table) + [tex]I[/tex](mouse)

[tex]I[/tex](initial) = 0.0154 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex] + MR[tex]^{2}[/tex]
    [tex]I[/tex](initial) = 0.0154 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex] + (.0195)(.25)[tex]^{2}[/tex] = .016619 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex] @ [tex]\omega[/tex]0 = 22 rpm

[tex]I[/tex](now) = 0.0154 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 0 = 0.0154 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex] @ [tex]\omega[/tex]1 = ?

Using conservation of angular momentum

(.016619 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex]) * (22 rpm) = (0.0154 kg * m[tex]^{2}[/tex]) * [tex]\omega[/tex]1

[tex]\omega[/tex]1 = 23.74 rpm <- I know that's right

Part B

I'm assuming that it will be this

W = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]I[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex][tex]^{2}_{f}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]I[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex][tex]^{2}_{i}[/tex]

With [tex]I[/tex] being the mouse's intertia.

3. The attempt at a solution

See above. I just want to see that the equation for part B would be the right approach for it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi Jar9284,

I believe you have to account for the turntable's moment of inertia also.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?