1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation : Unolling carpet.

1. Feb 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A carpet of mass M made of in-extensible material is rolled along its length in the form of a cylinder of radius R an is kept on a rough floor. The carpet starts unrolling without sliding on the floor when a negligible small push is given to it. Calculate the horizontal velocity of the axis of the cylindrical part of the carpet when its radius reduces to R/2

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried conserving energy since friction wont be doing any work, my answer came out to be √(4gR/3)

The answer in the book is √(14gR/3). Is anyone getting this answer?

(Also, will angular momentum be conserved? I'm thinking yes.)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi AlchemistK! :wink:
    Yup!

Show us what you did. :smile:

4. Feb 14, 2012 #3
    Hint: Careful with kinetic energy considerations.

5. Feb 15, 2012 #4
    x.x I got the answer, I made the mistake of assuming that since the radius dropped by half, even the mass dropped by half, while in fact it drops by a factor of 4.
    Thanks for your help! I'd never have even tried it again if didn't get to know that the answer was correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook