Rotation with a Pulley and Masses

In summary, when two blocks of mass M = 500 g and m = 460 g are connected by a cord and released from rest, the heavier block falls 85.5 cm in 2.47 s without the cord slipping on the pulley. The pulley, which is mounted in horizontal frictionless bearings, has a radius of 5.00 cm. The block's acceleration is 0.28 m/s^2 and the tensions in the cord supporting the heavier and lighter blocks are 4.9 N and 4.508 N, respectively. The pulley's angular acceleration and rotational inertia are not able to be determined without further information.
BlasterV
one block has a mass M = 500 g, the other has mass m = 460 g, and the pulley, which is mounted in horizontal frictionless bearings, has a radius of 5.00 cm. When released from rest, the heavier block falls 85.5 cm in 2.47 s (without the cord slipping on the pulley).

First I did conversions:
M = .5kg, m = .46 kg, r = .05 m
fall = .855m in 2.47 s

I am unable to do part b and c right, so I am unable to go further.
Here is my work:

.855m = 1/2 a (2.47^2) a = .28 m/s^2

however, It asks for 2 tensions. I never learned how to separate them like that, especially with a pulley. I did:

9.8 m/s^2 * .5kg = 4.9 N
9.8 m/s^2 * .46kg = 4.508 N

Tension of Cord = 4.9N + 4.508N. Obviously this isn't right, where do I go from here, or did I miss something?

(a) What is the magnitude of the block's acceleration?
.28 m/s2
(b) What is the tension in the part of the cord that supports the heavier block?
N
(c) What is the tension in the part of the cord that supports the lighter block?
N
(d) What is the magnitude of the pulley's angular acceleration?
rad/s2
(e) What is its rotational inertia?
kg · m2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got it all, thanks though

Your calculations for the acceleration of the block and the tensions in the cord are correct. However, to find the tensions in the cord that support each block separately, you need to use the concept of torque.

Torque is the rotational equivalent of force, and it is calculated by multiplying the force by the distance from the pivot point. In this case, the pivot point is the center of the pulley.

To find the tension in the part of the cord that supports the heavier block, we can use the equation:

Tension = (mass of the block) * (acceleration of the block) + (mass of the pulley) * (angular acceleration of the pulley) * (radius of the pulley)

T = (.5 kg)(.28 m/s^2) + (.5 kg)(a)(.05 m)
T = .14 N + .025a N

Similarly, to find the tension in the part of the cord that supports the lighter block, we can use the equation:

Tension = (mass of the block) * (acceleration of the block) - (mass of the pulley) * (angular acceleration of the pulley) * (radius of the pulley)

T = (.46 kg)(.28 m/s^2) - (.5 kg)(a)(.05 m)
T = .129 N - .025a N

To find the angular acceleration of the pulley, we can use the equation:

Torque = (moment of inertia) * (angular acceleration)

Since the pulley is a uniform disk, its moment of inertia can be calculated as (1/2) * (mass of the pulley) * (radius of the pulley)^2. Therefore:

(.14 N + .025a N)(.05 m) = (.5 kg)(1/2)(.05 m)^2 * a
.007 Nm = .0125 kgm^2 * a
a = .56 rad/s^2

To find the moment of inertia of the pulley, we can use the equation:

Moment of inertia = (mass of the pulley) * (radius of the pulley)^2

I = (.5 kg)(.05 m)^2
I = .00125 kgm^2

So, the magnitude of the pulley's angular acceleration is .56 rad/s^2 and its rotational inertia is .00125 kgm^2.

1. What is rotation with a pulley and masses?

Rotation with a pulley and masses is a physics concept where a system of masses is connected by a string or cable that passes over a pulley. The pulley allows the masses to rotate and move in a circular motion.

2. How does rotation with a pulley and masses work?

The pulley acts as a fulcrum or pivot point for the system. As one mass moves down, the other mass moves up, resulting in rotational motion. This is due to the conservation of energy and the tension in the string or cable.

3. What factors affect rotation with a pulley and masses?

The factors that affect rotation with a pulley and masses include the masses of the objects, the distance between the masses and the pulley, and the tension in the string or cable. The angle of the string or cable as it wraps around the pulley can also affect the system.

4. What is the difference between a fixed and movable pulley in rotation with a pulley and masses?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object, while a movable pulley is attached to a moving object. In rotation with a pulley and masses, a fixed pulley changes the direction of the force, while a movable pulley can also change the magnitude of the force.

5. What are some real-life applications of rotation with a pulley and masses?

Rotation with a pulley and masses is commonly used in lifting and moving heavy objects, such as in construction or transportation. It is also used in machines, such as elevators and cranes, to lift and lower loads. The concept is also applied in exercises, such as weightlifting or using resistance bands.