Understanding Rotational Acceleration: Linear vs. Angular Momentum Derivation

In summary, there are three types of acceleration in rotating systems: centripetal acceleration, tangential acceleration, and angular acceleration. Linear momentum is equal to angular momentum multiplied by the radius. Unit vectors are required in the representation of angular momentum. The cross product differs from the dot product in that it gives a vector instead of a scalar. The equation a=rA can be derived from w=v/r, where w is angular velocity and v is linear velocity. Differentiating both sides with respect to time yields the relationship between linear and angular acceleration.
Rudipoo
I'm getting confused with different types of acceleration when dealing with rotating systems. There is centripetal acceleration, tangential acceleration, and angular acceleration as far as i know. How do you derive that linear momentum equals angular momentum multiplied by the radius?

And also, in which types of accleration are unit vectors required?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost! Angular momentum of a particle is the product of it linear momentum times the distance from de reference point to the straight line where the particle moves. NOT to the particle. In vector representation you can write:
[tex]\vec L = \vec r\times \vec p[/tex]
This time [tex]\vec r[/tex] is the vector from the center to the particle and [tex]\vec p[/tex] the linear momentum. Beware: [tex]\times[/tex] stand for vectorial product.

Ah I see (I think!). Is the straight line an extension either way of velocity vector line? I might be talking rubbish here...

How does the cross product differ from the dot product? And also, I've seen that
a=rA where a is the linear acceleration r is the radius and A is the angular acceleration. How does one derive this from w=v/r , because I know angular acc. is the derivative of angular velocity?

Thanks again

Rudipoo said:
Ah I see (I think!). Is the straight line an extension either way of velocity vector line? I might be talking rubbish here...
Even if it is rubbish, it is clear enough for me, and yes it is "the extension of the vector".

Rudipoo said:
How does the cross product differ from the dot product? And also, I've seen that
a=rA where a is the linear acceleration r is the radius and A is the angular acceleration. How does one derive this from w=v/r , because I know angular acc. is the derivative of angular velocity?

Vector product is very different to dot product. The first gives a vector and the second a scalar. You can look in wikipedia.
You write
[tex]V_T=R\omega[/TEX]
and you derive both sides.

Cheers that makes things clearer. I'm afriad my experience at differentials is sufficiently small that I don't know how to derive both sides. V_t goes to a_t by definition of acceleration I suppose, but I haven't got any t's on the RHS of the equation, and as its differentiating w.r.t t, I'm stuck... Help! Thankyou for your time

The time derivative of linear speed is linear acceleration, the time derivative of angular speed is angular acceleration. R does not change. You let it as it is.

Oh yes of course. Thanks for your help.

1. What is rotational acceleration?

Rotational acceleration is the rate of change of rotational velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing.

2. How is rotational acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Rotational acceleration is specific to objects that are rotating, whereas linear acceleration applies to objects that are moving in a straight line. Rotational acceleration is measured in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

3. What causes rotational acceleration?

Rotational acceleration is caused by a torque, or a force that causes an object to rotate. This can be applied by an external force or by the distribution of mass within the object itself.

4. What is the formula for calculating rotational acceleration?

The formula for rotational acceleration is α = τ/I, where α is rotational acceleration, τ is the torque applied, and I is the moment of inertia of the object.

5. How is rotational acceleration used in real-life applications?

Rotational acceleration is used in many real-life applications, such as in sports like figure skating and gymnastics, where athletes use rotational acceleration to perform spins and flips. It is also important in the design and operation of machinery and vehicles, such as cars and airplanes, which rely on rotational motion for movement.