Rotational acceleration of a post

In summary, the conversation is about a physics question involving a vertical post, a cable, a string, and a pulley. The question is about finding the angular acceleration of the post after the cable snaps, whether the angular acceleration will be constant before the post hits the pulley, and the acceleration of the 5kg mass when the pulley breaks. The correct answers are provided, but the person is struggling with finding the tension in the string and understanding why it is not just equal to the weight of the mass.
C.E
1. Hi, I am massively stuck on the following question and am examined on this stuff soon, could someone please help me?

A thin, uniform 15kg post of length 1.75 m is held vertically using a cable attached to the top of the post. A string attached to a 5kg mass passes over a smooth, massles pulley and is attached to the post 0.5m from the top. The post has a pivot at the bottom of it (i.e. that is what it rests on). Suddenly the cable snaps.

a. Find the angular acceleration of the post (with respect to the pivot) just after the cable snaps.
b.Will the angular acceleration from a be constant before the post hits the pulley? Why?
c.What is the acceleration of the 5kg mass the instant the pulley breaks? Is this constant? Why?

b[2].According to the back of my book the answers I should get are:
a. 2.65 rad/s^2
b. no, no explanation why given.
c. 3.31 m/s^2, n (no explanation given)

b[3].My attempt.
a. Torque (T)= moment of inertia (I) x angular acceleration (A)
T= 5g(1.75-0.5)=61.25
I= (MR^2)/4 = 15.3125
a=T/I = 4
(I don't see where I am going wrong for this part, any ideas?)
b. I think no because as the stick falls the line of action of the applied force changes and hence so does the torque. Is this explanation correct?
c. I though this acceleration was just g. As for whether it is constant I thought yes, but the answer is no.

Physics news on Phys.org
C.E said:
A thin, uniform 15kg post of length 1.75 m is held vertically using a cable attached to the top of the post. A string attached to a 5kg mass passes over a smooth, massles pulley and is attached to the post 0.5m from the top.
A diagram would help. What's the orientation of the string? What's the pulley attached to?

C.E said:
b[3].My attempt.
a. Torque (T)= moment of inertia (I) x angular acceleration (A)
T= 5g(1.75-0.5)=61.25
I= (MR^2)/4 = 15.3125
a=T/I = 4
(I don't see where I am going wrong for this part, any ideas?)
Hint: Find the tension in the string once the cable is cut. It's not simply equal to the weight of the 5kg mass.

(Assuming the string is horizontal, I get the book's answer.)

Yes, the string is horizontal. It does not say anything about what the pully is attached to. Why is the tension not just 5g? What am I missing?

C.E said:
What am I missing?
The fact that the mass accelerates.

What do you mean?

C.E said:
What do you mean?
The tension in the string will equal the weight of the hanging mass when the mass is stationary (not accelerating). (mg - T = 0) But when the mass starts accelerating, the string tension is less. (mg - T = ma)

1. What is rotational acceleration of a post?

The rotational acceleration of a post is the rate at which the post changes its rotational speed over time. It is a measure of how quickly the post is rotating.

2. How is rotational acceleration of a post calculated?

Rotational acceleration is calculated using the formula: α = Δω/Δt, where α is the rotational acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What factors affect the rotational acceleration of a post?

The rotational acceleration of a post depends on its moment of inertia, the applied torque, and the angular velocity. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also affect the rotational acceleration.

4. Is rotational acceleration of a post the same as angular acceleration?

Yes, rotational acceleration and angular acceleration refer to the same physical quantity. They both measure the rate of change of angular velocity over time.

5. How is rotational acceleration of a post important in engineering and physics?

Rotational acceleration is important in engineering and physics as it helps us understand the behavior of rotating objects. It is also used in the design and analysis of machines and structures that involve rotational motion, such as turbines, motors, and gears.