Rotational And Vibrational States

In summary, the conversation discussed the question of which state, rotational or vibrational, has more energy in molecules. The person speaking mentioned their surprise at finding the vibrational energy to be significantly less than the rotational energy in their calculations for an HCl molecule. They also asked for clarification on the question and how the calculations were done. In the end, it was determined that the previous understanding of rotational energy being larger than vibrational energy was correct.
Chronothread
I apologize for disregarding the template, but it did not seem necessary or practical for my question.

In molecules which has more energy, a rotational or vibrational state (first state for both)? I've just calculated the vibrational and rotational energy of an HCl molecule and my results show that the vibrational energy is dramatically less then the rotational energy. From previous knowledge I thought the vibrational energy would be more.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
what is your question?

And how did you calculated it?

As far as I remember, the rot energy is larger than vib energy in molecules.

Ok, I did a little more work and I think you're right. Which means that my first calculations were correct then. Thanks.

Related to Rotational And Vibrational States

What are rotational and vibrational states?

Rotational and vibrational states are two types of energy states that molecules can occupy. Rotational states involve the rotation of the molecule around its center of mass, while vibrational states involve the vibration of the atoms within the molecule.

What causes molecules to have rotational and vibrational states?

Molecules have rotational and vibrational states because of the energy they possess. The molecules can absorb or emit energy, causing them to transition between different rotational and vibrational states.

How are rotational and vibrational states related to molecular properties?

The rotational and vibrational states of a molecule are related to its molecular properties such as its bond length, bond strength, and moment of inertia. These properties determine the energy levels and transitions between rotational and vibrational states.

What techniques are used to study rotational and vibrational states?

There are several techniques used to study rotational and vibrational states, including infrared spectroscopy, Raman spectroscopy, and microwave spectroscopy. These techniques involve measuring the absorption or emission of energy by molecules.

What are some applications of understanding rotational and vibrational states?

Understanding rotational and vibrational states is important in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is used in the development of new materials, understanding chemical reactions, and studying the properties of molecules in various environments.