1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational coil induction

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1.A circular coil, with radius of 10 cm, and 25 turns, rotates in a constant magnetic field of
    strength 2.4 T, with the axis of rotation perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic
    field.

A. If the coil rotates at a frequency of 50 Hz, what is the induced peak voltage?
    B. Sketch the time-dependence of the induced voltage.
    C. If the magnetic field that the coil is in points down the page, which direction does the coil rotate? Answer for both cases: (1) q traveling from left to right and (2) q traveling from right to left in the coil.

2. Relevant equations

V = -N * [ dΦ / dT ]
    Φ = B * A * cosθ

V = -N * B * A * ω*sinθ
    ω = 2π*f

3. The attempt at a solution

A. A = π*.1^2
    .031416 m^2

ω = 2π*50
    314.159 rad/s

peak voltage would occur when the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field correct? So would I put π/2 in for sin(x) and get the following?
    V = 25 * 2.4 * .031416 * 314.159*sin(π/2)
    1.88496 * 314.159
    592.177 V
    B. If A is correct, then would the time-dependence of induced emf look like a sin wave?
    C. I take it I'm supposed to use the right-hand-rule and Lenz's Law for this question, but I'm slightly confused as to how to go about doing so

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2
    bump, I believe A and B are correct from what I understand, but I'm still having trouble with C.

4. Apr 1, 2009 #3
    I need help with this question too.

5. Apr 14, 2009 #4
    Yeah, I don't understand how to use the 50Hz to determine the peak voltage. I really hate this class! None of this was taught in the lesson or explained at any point. An explanation of the equations would be helpful. Please, anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook