How Do You Calculate Torque from Cross Product?

In summary, a force of (9.0 N) i hat + (-4.0 N) k hat is acting on a pebble at position vector r = (3.00 m) j hat + (-1.0 m) k hat. The resulting torque acting on the pebble about the origin is (-12 N·m) i hat + (-9 N·m) j hat + (-27 N·m) k hat. About a point with coordinates (0.0 m, 0.0 m, 5.0 m), the resulting torque is (-15 N·m) i hat + (-9 N·m) j hat + (-27 N·m) k hat.
Nanuven
Force F = (9.0 N) i hat + (-4.0 N) k hat acts on a pebble with position vector r = (3.00 m) j hat + (-1.0 m) k hat, relative to the origin.(a) What is the resulting torque acting on the pebble about the origin?
( N·m) i hat + ( N·m) j hat + ( N·m) k hat

(b) What is the resulting torque acting on the pebble about a point with coordinates (0.0 m, 0.0 m, 5.0 m)?
( N·m) i hat + ( N·m) j hat + ( N·m) k hat
So all I could come up with was cross product was that torque = r cross F

Therefore T = fRsin[tex]\theta[/tex]

I looked up cross product on Wikipedia (not best site I know but w/e) and it came up with:

i x j = k
j x k = i
k x i = j

I tried those but it doesn't seem to be giving me the right answer. Any help please??

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]F = \[ \left[ \begin{array}{c} 9 \\\ 0 \\\ -4 \end{array} \right]\][/tex]

[tex]R = \[ \left[ \begin{array}{c} 0 \\\ 3 \\\ -1 \end{array} \right]\][/tex]

[tex]F \times R = \[ \left[ \begin{array}{c} F_2R_3-F_3R_2 \\\ F_3R_1-F_1R_3 \\\ F_1R_2-F_2R_1 \end{array} \right]\][/tex]

[tex]F \times R = \[ \left[ \begin{array}{c} -12 \\\ -9 \\\ -27 \end{array} \right]\][/tex]

I did this with software. I haven't hand checked it.

Last edited:
Nanuven said:
torque = r cross F

i x j = k
j x k = i
k x i = j

Hi Nanuven! :smile:

Also ii = jj = kk = 0.

Treat cross products just the same as any product.

For example:

(ai + bj)(cj + dk)

= acij + adik + bcjj + bdjk

= ack - adj + bdi. :smile:

(btw, use the B tag to do bold … if that doesn't work, type [noparse] before and after.[/noparse])

1. What is the definition of rotational cross product?

The rotational cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a third vector perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the rotational force or torque of a rotating object.

2. How is rotational cross product different from normal cross product?

The main difference between rotational cross product and normal cross product is that rotational cross product takes into account the direction of rotation. This means that the resulting vector from rotational cross product has a direction, while the resulting vector from normal cross product does not.

3. What are the applications of rotational cross product?

Rotational cross product has various applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in mechanics to calculate the torque or moment of a force, as well as in electromagnetism to determine the magnetic field strength around a current-carrying wire.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of rotational cross product?

The magnitude of rotational cross product can be calculated using the formula ||a x b|| = ||a|| ||b|| sinθ, where a and b are the two vectors and θ is the angle between them. This formula is similar to the formula for calculating the magnitude of normal cross product, but takes into account the angle of rotation.

5. Can rotational cross product be used with non-perpendicular vectors?

No, rotational cross product can only be used with perpendicular vectors. This is because the resulting vector must be perpendicular to both of the original vectors, and this can only be achieved if the original vectors are also perpendicular. If the vectors are not perpendicular, normal cross product should be used instead.