How Much Torque and Horsepower Are Needed to Rotate a Steel Drum?

In summary, to rotate a 650 lb steel drum with an 11 inch diameter and a 2.5 inch solid shaft at 1650 rpm, you will need a torque of 270819.79 ft-lb and a horsepower of 8368.2 HP.
sniffy
Hi there,
I posted essentially this question a quite awhile ago but the answer wasn't what I needed and then the post got hijacked so I'll try this again worded differently...

I need to figure out the torque and hp required to rotate a steel drum, both for acceleration and to maintain its rpm. Its an 11 inch diameter sch40 pipe welded onto a 2-1/2" solid shaft. This rotating mass is 650 lbs and spins at 1650 rpm. I need to be able to tell the Hydraulics shop the force needed so that they can order the correct pumps and motors. (Assume bearing friction is minimal)
Here are the details and what I've gleened off the net so far.

Mass 650lbs (295 kg)
Outer diameter 11" (28cm)
Length 96" (244cm)
Shaft diameter 2.5" (6.4" )
Rotational speed 1650 rpm = 27.5 rps = 950 in/sec = 79 ft/sec = 172.8 rad/sec
Acceleration 0-1650rpm (at 10sec)= 7.9 (at 20sec)=3.95

Moment of Inertia (I) M*r^2 = 650 x 5.5^2= 19662.5

After this point I obviously start making errors because I end up with an answer of over 1003560 ft/lbs needed. ;\

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be much appreciated.To calculate the torque and horsepower you will need to know the acceleration of the drum. You can use the formula for torque: Torque = Moment of Inertia * angular acceleration. The Moment of Inertia is calculated as M*r^2, where M is the mass of the drum and r is the radius of the drum. For example, if the drum has a mass of 650 lbs and a radius of 5.5 inches, the Moment of Inertia will be 19662.5 lb-in^2. To calculate the angular acceleration, you need to know the time it takes the drum to reach its target speed of 1650 rpm. Let's assume it takes 10 seconds. The angular acceleration is then (1650 rpm - 0 rpm) / 10 seconds = 165 rad/sec^2. Therefore, the torque required to accelerate the drum is 19662.5 lb-in^2 * 165 rad/sec^2 = 3249837.5 lb-in. To convert that into ft-lb, divide by 12: 3249837.5 / 12 = 270819.79 ft-lb. Now, to calculate the horsepower required to rotate the drum at 1650 rpm, you will need to use the formula: HP = (Torque * RPM) / 5252. So, in this case it will be (270819.79 ft-lb * 1650 rpm) / 5252 = 8368.2 HP.

1. What is rotational drum torque?

Rotational drum torque refers to the amount of force or twisting motion that is applied to a rotating drum. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb) and is dependent on the force applied and the distance from the center of rotation to the point of application.

2. How is rotational drum torque calculated?

Rotational drum torque can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the drum by the distance from the center of rotation to the point of application. This can be represented by the equation T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance.

3. What is the relationship between rotational drum torque and horsepower?

Horsepower (hp) is a unit of power that measures the rate at which work is done. It is directly related to torque, with the equation hp = T x ω, where hp is horsepower, T is torque, and ω is the angular velocity of the drum. This means that as the rotational drum torque increases, so does the horsepower required to maintain the same level of rotation.

4. How does rotational drum torque affect the performance of a machine?

Rotational drum torque is an important factor in the performance of many machines, particularly those that involve rotating components such as motors, engines, and generators. A higher torque allows these machines to produce more power and operate at higher speeds, while a lower torque can lead to slower speeds and decreased performance.

5. What factors can affect rotational drum torque?

The rotational drum torque of a machine can be affected by various factors, including the weight of the load being moved, the size and speed of the drum, the efficiency of the machine, and any external forces or friction that may be present. Additionally, changes in temperature, humidity, and other environmental conditions can also impact the rotational drum torque of a machine.