Rotational Dynamics Homework: 2 Rings of Masses

• Thread starter Mandeep Deka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotational
In summary, two rings with masses 'm' and '4m' are set up in a way that the bigger ring can rotate freely about the point of suspension while the smaller ring is hung through a horizontal frictionless thread. The planes of both rings are perpendicular to the plane of the paper. After the bigger ring is released, its final position is when its plane becomes vertical and the planes of both rings are also vertical. To find the angular velocity of the bigger ring at this point, the relation between the velocities of the center of masses of both rings can be calculated. The decrease in potential energy of the system when the bigger ring reaches its final position will be converted into kinetic energies of the bodies. The kinetic energy of the bigger ring
Mandeep Deka

Homework Statement

Two rings of masses 'm' (smaller one) and '4m' (bigger one) are placed in the set up as shown in the diagram. The smaller ring is hung through a horizontal frictionless thread. The bigger ring is joined to the smaller ring in such a way that it can rotate freely about the point of suspension. The planes of both the rings are perpendicular to the plane of the paper. The bigger ring has a radius 'R'. After the bigger ring is released from the initial position as shown in the figure, find the angular velocity of the bigger ring when its plane becomes vertical i.e the planes of both the rings become vertical.

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, when the rings reach the final position, we can calculate the relation between the velocities of the center of masses of both the rings (their velocity vectors will be horizontal and since there is no ext. force in the horizontal direction we can conserve the linear momentum). Now when the bigger ring reaches the final position the decrease in the potential energy of the system is, (4m)gR, which will be converted into kinetic energies of the bodies. But i have a doubt; the K.Es of the smaller ring will be only its linear K.E, but for the bigger ring, what will be the K.E? Will it just the linear K.E of the COM of the ring at that instant? or it will be the rotational energy about the point of suspension? or both?

Please help!

Attachments

• diagram.bmp
    278.9 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
i think we need to consider both the K.E of upper and lower rings, as well as the rotational energy of the lower ring. Using absolute velocity of the center of mass of each ring.

Do you think the angular momentum of the two rings + Earth about the point of suspension is conserved?

I am sorry Quadeer, I couldn't get your question!
As far as i see the question, there is no basic reason for me to conserve angular momentum, coz at any instant the gravitational torque would be acting at the center of mass of the bigger ring, which would make it difficult for me to choose a point about which i get a net zero torque on the ring (which is the essential for applying conservation of angular momentum), i however can conserve linear momentum in the horizontal direction owing to the absence of an external force.

Now, the only way you can match answer is if you, equate the net change in gravitational potential energy of the bigger ring with the translational kinetic energies of both the rings and the rotational KE off the bigger ring w.r.t the point of suspension. But here's my basic doubt:

IN GENERAL WHEN WE TALK ABOUT THE BODY IN TRANSLATIONAL AS WELL AS ROTATIONAL MOTION, WE TAKE ITS TOTAL KINETIC ENERGY AS THE TRANSLATIONAL K.E OF THE C.O.M AND THE ROTATIONAL K.E OF THE BODY ABOUT THE C.O.M, BUT IN THIS CASE THE ANSWER MATCHES WHEN WE TAKE THE TRANSLATIONAL K.E AS STATED BUT THE ROTATIONAL ENERGY ABOUT THE POINT OF SUSPENSION, WHICH IS NOT CORRECT!

WHERE IS THE LOOPHOLE?

I REQUEST ANY MENTOR TO PLEASE GUIDE ME THROUGH THIS QUESTION!

IN GENERAL WHEN WE TALK ABOUT THE BODY IN TRANSLATIONAL AS WELL AS ROTATIONAL MOTION, WE TAKE ITS TOTAL KINETIC ENERGY AS THE TRANSLATIONAL K.E OF THE C.O.M AND THE ROTATIONAL K.E OF THE BODY ABOUT THE C.O.M, BUT IN THIS CASE THE ANSWER MATCHES WHEN WE TAKE THE TRANSLATIONAL K.E AS STATED BUT THE ROTATIONAL ENERGY ABOUT THE POINT OF SUSPENSION, WHICH IS NOT CORRECT!

Your general case is in the rotational + translational motion about the COM (i.e. when a body rotates about its COM)
Here in the question, the point of suspension is NOT the COM of the bigger ring.

The kinetic energy of a body in a frame R is given by

Kinetic energy of the COM in 'R' frame + Kinetic energy (translational) of the COM in COM frame.

Here the frame R is at the point of suspension of the bigger ring.

But Abdul, the Translational kinetic energy of the COM in the COM reference frame will be zero as the COM will have 0 velocity in this frame.

Hi Mandeep! :smile:
Mandeep Deka said:
But i have a doubt … for the bigger ring, what will be the K.E? Will it just the linear K.E of the COM of the ring at that instant? or it will be the rotational energy about the point of suspension? or both?
Mandeep Deka said:

(I assume the upper ring is constrained to stay vertical?)

The KE is always the linear KE of the centre of mass plus the rotational KE about the centre of mass …

perhaps you've used the wrong value for the angular velocity?

Show us your calculations. :smile:

sagardip said:
But Abdul, the Translational kinetic energy of the COM in the COM reference frame will be zero as the COM will have 0 velocity in this frame.

Yes, you are right. I wrote that in a hurry.
It is Kinetic energy (translational) of the system in COM frame.

tiny-tim said:

Sir, yes the upper ring is constrained to stay vertical.

tiny-tim said:

No it is not. The question clearly mentions 'the smaller ring is hung through a horizontal frictionless thread'.

No, quadeer the ring is constrained to remain vertical, i.e it can have only linear motion.

Let the velocities of the COMs of the rings at the instant they are vertical be v1 (bigger ring) and v2 (smaller ring),

Applying conservation of linear momentum,
4v1=v2......(I)

Now the point about which the bigger ring is rotating, i.e the point at which the bigger ring is attached to the smaller ring, has a velocity same as that of the COM of the smaller ring. So the angular velocity of the bigger ring about its center has value w=(v1+v2)/R [as both v1 and v2 have opposite directions]

Substituting the value of either v1 or v2 in the expression from (I), we can express the velocities v1 and v2, in terms of w.

Applying conservation of energy,
4mgR = (1/2)mv22 + (1/2)4mv12 + (1/2)ICOMw2

Again substituting the values of v1 and v2 in terms of w, we find w to be = 10(r/11R)1/2

This is the angular velocity of the body about the center of mass. Now this value should be equal to the angular velocity of the ring about the point of suspension, isn't it! and hence should be the required answer!

Please point out the mistake in the solution!

Mandeep Deka said:

May be you made a mistake here. 'I' should be about the point of rotation of the bigger ring, not about its COM i.e. I=1.5(4M)R2

Mandeep Deka said:
Again substituting the values of v1 and v2 in terms of w, we find w to be = 10(r/11R)1/2

How do you get that?

w= (v1+v2)/R
And 4v1=v2,

Therefore, v1=(Rw)/5
v2=(4Rw)/5

Putting these values in the energy equation, we get the value of w
(Since, the axis of rotation is on the plane of the ring, its ICOM will be (1/2)4MR2)

Last edited:
Abdul Quadeer said:
May be you made a mistake here. 'I' should be about the point of rotation of the bigger ring, not about its COM i.e. I=1.5(4M)R2

Why will 'I' be about the point of suspension?
The net K.E of anybody is the translational K.E of the COM of the body and the rotational K.E of the body about its C.O.M!

Mandeep Deka said:
Let the velocities of the COMs of the rings at the instant they are vertical be v1 (bigger ring) and v2 (smaller ring),

This is the angular velocity of the body about the center of mass. Now this value should be equal to the angular velocity of the ring about the point of suspension, isn't it! and hence should be the required answer!

Please point out the mistake in the solution!
Mandeep Deka said:
w= (v1+v2)/R
And 4v1=v2,

Therefore, v1=(Rw)/5
v2=(4Rw)/5

Putting these values in the energy equation, we get the value of w
(Since, the axis of rotation is on the plane of the ring, its ICOM will be (1/2)4MR2)

let's see …

= (1/2)m((4Rw)/5)2 + (1/2)4m((Rw)/5)2 + (1/2)2MR2w2

= (mR2w2/50) {16 + 4 + 50}

= (7/5)mR2w2,

so w = √((20/7)g/R)

how did you get (100/11)? did you use {16 + 4 + 2} ?

Mandeep Deka said:
Why will 'I' be about the point of suspension?
The net K.E of anybody is the translational K.E of the COM of the body and the rotational K.E of the body about its C.O.M!

ONLY if it rotates about the C.O.M.!

4mgR = (1/2)mv22 + (1/2)4mv12 + (1/2)(1.5*4m)w2

On simplifying,
4Rg = 10v12 + 3w2R2

Now w is actually the angular velocity of the bigger ring w.r.t to the smaller ring.
V(bigger ring w.r.t smaller ring) = Rw = v1-v2=5v1

So v1=Rw/5

Subsitutute this in the simplified equation above.
I got w = (20g/17R)(1/2)

To Tiny Tim:

Apologies!
It was a calculation mistake, but still the answer doesn't match!
Is this the correct solution?
One more place where i am doubtful, is whether this 'w' is the 'w' about the point of suspension of the bigger ring?? I mean i have proved it but i am really unsure about it!

To Quadeer:

I know the answer matches if you take 'I' about the point of suspension, but it will be incorrect to take the rotational energy about that point.

You tell me, if i have a solid rod hinged at one end and released in a vertical plane to rotate due to gravitational torque, how will you consider its K.E??
You will either take the whole energy as rotational energy about the point of suspension, or you will take the translational K.E of the COM + rotational about its C.O.M. You cannot take the translational KE about the COM and rotational about the point of suspension. It will be incorrect!

Mandeep Deka said:
… still the answer doesn't match!
Is this the correct solution?

Correct method, so it should be. :confused:

Mandeep Deka said:
You will either take the whole energy as rotational energy about the point of suspension, or you will take the translational K.E of the COM + rotational about its C.O.M. You cannot take the translational KE about the COM and rotational about the point of suspension. It will be incorrect!

As long as the point about which the rod is hinged does not move w.r.t ground, I would consider only its Rotational Kinetic Energy about that point. The COM of the rod does not translate, it only rotates!. I can also consider the translational K.E. of the COM + rotational K.E. about its COM because the point is fixed ( in other words, it is at rest w.r.t an inertial frame/earth)

In your problem, the point of suspension itself moves w.r.t ground (which is an inertial frame). And there is a different formula for finding its kinetic energy.

I am posting it again for your reference:

The kinetic energy of a body rotating about a fixed point in a frame R is given by

KE (rotational) of COM in reference frame R about fixed point + KE (translational) of the system in reference frame of COM

1. What is rotational dynamics and why is it important?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the motion of objects that are rotating around a fixed axis. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of objects such as wheels, gears, and satellites, and is crucial in many real-world applications such as engineering and astronomy.

2. What are the key variables in rotational dynamics?

The key variables in rotational dynamics are moment of inertia, angular velocity, torque, and angular acceleration. Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while angular velocity, torque, and angular acceleration describe the object's rotational speed, applied force, and change in rotational speed, respectively.

3. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for two rings of masses?

The moment of inertia for two rings of masses can be calculated by adding the individual moments of inertia of each ring. The moment of inertia for a ring of mass M and radius R is given by I = MR^2. Therefore, for two rings with masses M1 and M2 and radii R1 and R2, the total moment of inertia would be I = M1R1^2 + M2R2^2.

4. What is the equation for torque in rotational dynamics?

The equation for torque in rotational dynamics is τ = rFsinθ, where τ is the torque, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, F is the applied force, and θ is the angle between the two vectors. Torque is measured in Newton-meters (Nm).

5. How does the distribution of mass affect rotational dynamics?

The distribution of mass affects rotational dynamics by altering the moment of inertia. Objects with more mass concentrated farther away from the axis of rotation have a greater moment of inertia and are therefore more difficult to rotate. This is why it is easier to spin a figure skater with their arms close to their body, as opposed to when their arms are extended outward, increasing their moment of inertia.