Rotational Dynamics/moment of inertia/frictional torque

In summary, the combination of an applied force and a constant frictional force produces a constant total torque of 36.8 N·m on a wheel rotating about a fixed axis. The applied force acts for 5.92 s, during which time the angular speed of the wheel increases from 0 to 10.2 rad/s. The moment of inertia for the wheel can be found by using the constant angular acceleration formulas and the number of revolutions for the wheel. The magnitude of the frictional torque can be determined using the relation between angular impulse and angular momentum.
xdevinx

Homework Statement

The combination of an applied force and a constant frictional force produces a constant total torque of 36.8 N·m on a wheel rotating about a fixed axis. The applied force acts for 5.92 s. During this time the angular speed of the wheel increases from 0 to 10.2 rad/s. The applied force is then removed, and the wheel comes to rest in 59.5 s.

a)find the moment of inertia

b)find the magnitude of the frictional torque

Homework Equations

torque=(inertia) (angular acceleration)
angular acceleration=change in angular speed/change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

for (a) I know what I have to do but for some reason I can't figure it out. I set the torque (36.8 N m) equal to the product of the moment of inertia the angular acceleration. however, I'm just stuck on finding the angular acceleration. Do I use an equation for constant angular acceleration? (e.g. omega(final)=omega(initial) + (angular acceleration)(time)) or do I have to integrate it? If so, how?

Physics news on Phys.org
They said constant total torque, so that means constant angular acceleration since the inertia doesn't change.

Use the relation between angular impulse and angular momentum.

Awesome. I figured out the moment of inertia for the wheel by using the constant angular acceleration formulas, as well as the number of revolutions for the wheel.
First, I used Omega(final)=Omega(initial)+Angular Acceleration*time
Then I was able to find the moment of inertia by plugging it into
Torque=I*Angular Acceleration.

To find how many times the wheel revolved I used Omega(final)^2 - Omega(initial)^2= 2*Angular Acceleration*Total amount angle rotated

But now I just don't know how to find the magnitude of the frictional torque. Help!

xdevinx said:
But now I just don't know how to find the magnitude of the frictional torque.

Yes you do :smile:
xdevinx said:
… 10.2 rad/s. The applied force is then removed, and the wheel comes to rest in 59.5 s.

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that rotate around an axis. It involves studying the forces and torques that act on objects and how they affect their rotational motion.

2. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by taking into account the mass distribution and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation.

3. How does friction affect rotational motion?

Friction can cause a decrease in the angular velocity of a rotating object by producing a torque that opposes its motion. It can also cause the object to lose energy and eventually come to a stop.

4. What is torque in rotational dynamics?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

5. How does the distribution of mass affect moment of inertia?

The distribution of mass in an object affects its moment of inertia. Objects with more mass concentrated towards the axis of rotation have a smaller moment of inertia, while objects with more mass distributed farther from the axis have a larger moment of inertia.