Calculating Moment of Inertia and Torque for a Rotating Cylinder

In summary, we are given a grinding wheel with a radius of 8.50 cm and a mass of 0.580 kg. We need to calculate its moment of inertia about its center and the applied torque needed to accelerate it from rest to 1500 rpm in 5.0 s. There is also information about it slowing down from 1500 rpm to rest in 55.0 s, which can be used to find the torque of the resistive force. Adding this to the calculated torque needed for acceleration gives a final torque of 0.069 M/N.
pb23me

Homework Statement

A grinding wheel is a uniform cylinder of with a radius of 8.50 cm and a mass of 0.580 kg. Calculate a) its moment of inertia about its center, and b) the applied torque needed to accelerate it from rest to 1500 rpm in 5.0 s if it is known to slow down from 1500 rpm to rest in 55.0 s.

Homework Equations

I=1/2(mr2)=.002kg/m2
[itex]\tau[/itex]=I([itex]\Delta[/itex]w/[itex]\Delta[/itex]t)=300MN

The Attempt at a Solution

It doesn't seem that'' it is known to slow down from 1500 rpm to rest in 55.0 s'' ? Do i really need to use that information?

Physics news on Phys.org
if it is known to slow down from 1500 rpm to rest in 55.0 s.
May be there is a resistive force which causes it to slow down to rest by itself from 1500rpm in 55s. You might want to think about this deceleration.

Another for torque is torque = Inertia*angularAcceleration. I think you need to find angular acceleration first. acceleration = radius*alpha. Your rpm is rev/min convert this to rad/s to get omega(angular speed).

Some formulas:
v=rw
1 rev= 2pi

There are a couple of substitutions that you might need to do.

ok so i calculated the torque required disregarding the resistive force and got [itex]\tau[/itex]=.063M/N then i calculated the torque of the resistive force and got [itex]\tau[/itex]=-.006M/N so i figured i just add .006M/N of torque to .063 and got .069M/N

Assuming that your values are correct, you are right acc. to me.

1. What is rotational dynamics and how is it different from linear dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the study of the motion and forces acting on an object that is rotating or in circular motion. It is different from linear dynamics in that it takes into account the rotational inertia and angular velocity of an object, rather than just its mass and linear velocity.

2. How do you calculate the moment of inertia of an object?

The moment of inertia of an object is calculated by taking the sum of the products of each particle's mass and its squared distance from the axis of rotation. This can be represented as I = ∑mr², where m is the mass of the particle and r is its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is torque and how does it affect rotational motion?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. Torque can either cause an object to accelerate or change its direction of rotation.

4. How do you solve rotational dynamics problems?

To solve rotational dynamics problems, you must first identify the initial and final conditions of the object's motion, including its initial and final angular velocities and the forces acting on it. Then, you can use equations such as Newton's second law for rotational motion (Στ = Iα) and the conservation of angular momentum (L = Iω) to solve for the unknown variables.

5. What are some real-world applications of rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics has many real-world applications, including understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies, designing and analyzing the performance of rotating machinery such as engines and turbines, and studying the stability and control of objects in flight or in space. It is also important in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, where rotational motion plays a significant role in the athletes' movements.