Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Rotational Dynamics Problem

1. Dec 5, 2012 #1
    Hi friend I am really getting big problem in solving this question which is related to Rotational dynamics. Please help me in solving this. I will be heartily thankful to u all guys.

The question is as follows :

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/549594_2636991701343_1266262284_n.jpg

I am always getting the answer as Option (a) But the answer of this question is (d).

I am attaching all the attempts as an jepg image along with it. Please friends go through it and Please help me.

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2012 #2
    The axis of rotation is not located at the middle of the disc. This can be seen from the fact that the velocities are not perpendicular to a line drawn from the centre of the disc. Use the fact that the speeds are tangential to the circular paths that A and B follow about the axis of rotation to locate the position of the axis of rotation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook