Finding the Axis of Rotation in a Rotational Dynamics Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a question related to rotational dynamics. They have already attempted to solve it but have not been successful. They provide an image of their attempts and mention that the correct answer is (d). The person also mentions that the axis of rotation is not located at the middle of the disc and asks for help in locating its position.
thunderhadron
Hi friend I am really getting big problem in solving this question which is related to Rotational dynamics. Please help me in solving this. I will be heartily thankful to u all guys.

The question is as follows :

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/549594_2636991701343_1266262284_n.jpg

I am always getting the answer as Option (a) But the answer of this question is (d).

I am attaching all the attempts as an jepg image along with it. Please friends go through it and Please help me.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• attempt 1.jpg
    attempt 1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 316
  • attempt 2.jpg
    attempt 2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 341
Physics news on Phys.org
The axis of rotation is not located at the middle of the disc. This can be seen from the fact that the velocities are not perpendicular to a line drawn from the centre of the disc. Use the fact that the speeds are tangential to the circular paths that A and B follow about the axis of rotation to locate the position of the axis of rotation.

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that rotate or spin around an axis. It involves the study of torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

2. How is rotational dynamics different from linear dynamics?

Rotational dynamics deals with the motion of objects that rotate, while linear dynamics deals with the motion of objects that move in a straight line. Rotational dynamics also considers the effects of torque and angular velocity, which are not present in linear dynamics.

3. What is the role of torque in rotational dynamics?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In rotational dynamics, torque is responsible for changing the angular momentum of an object, which in turn affects its rotational motion.

4. How is angular velocity related to rotational dynamics?

Angular velocity is the measure of how fast an object is rotating around an axis. In rotational dynamics, it is one of the key variables used to describe the motion of rotating objects, along with torque and angular acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics can be observed in many everyday activities, such as swinging a baseball bat, riding a bicycle, or even opening a door. It is also essential in understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in space.