1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Dynamics Question

1. Jan 31, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem: A massless string is wrapped around a solid cylinder as shown in the diagram at the right. A block of mass m = 2.0 kg hangs from the string. When released, the block falls a distance of 82 cm in 2.0 s. Starting with a free-body diagram, calculate the mass of the cylinder.

2. Relevant equations

d = Vot + 0.5at^2
    Tension = ma - mg
    Torque = (I)(alpha) = F(r)

3. The attempt at a solution

Conceptually, I figure I need to find the force being exerted on the wheel, and the acceleration. That will leave nothing but the mass to be determined. But the fact that it's rotational, throws a wrench into it, especially since no radius is provided.

using d = Vot + 0.5at^2 we get a = 0.41 m/s^2 for the block.
    Tension is therefore, 18.78 N in the opposite direction of the block's movement and is the force being exerted on the wheel (I think).

Torque = 18.78(r) = 0.5Mr^2(a/r)

If my approach is right, I need M, but r is in the way. What to do?
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2007 #2
    Wait a minute... the radii all cancel... therefore M = 37.56/0.41 = 91.6 kg

Did I figure it out, or did I just dig myself into a deeper hole? Help please!
  4. Jan 31, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

Could you give more information about the geometry?
  5. Jan 31, 2007 #4
    I don't really know where I could attach a photo of it, but it essentially looks like a string hanging off a pulley with a mass on the end.

Any suggestions on how I can show it to you?
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  6. Jan 31, 2007 #5

Homework Helper

When you make a new reply below "submit reply" look for a button called "Manage Attachments".
  7. Jan 31, 2007 #6
    Sweet thanks! Here it is:

Attached Files:

8. Jan 31, 2007 #7
  9. Feb 1, 2007 #8
    I'm new to this forum but just a general hint i post my pictures on photobucket.com and then just click the image button where i want it in the post and paste in the link ...
  10. Feb 1, 2007 #9
  11. Feb 1, 2007 #10
    Anything guys (or ladies)?

The attachment's been approved. So does anyone have any ideas?
  12. Feb 1, 2007 #11

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your solution looks good to me.
  13. Feb 1, 2007 #12
    Alright then! Thanks a lot!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?