Rotational dynamics: TORQUE

In summary: So the final answer is X = 0.4L. In summary, to find the forces required to keep the plank in static equilibrium, we use the equations Torque = F*r, Net force acting on plank equal to zero, and Net torque acting on plank equal to zero. When the child moves to a new position, with the force exerted by the father reduced to 0.60mg, we can use these equations to find the distance the child moved, which is 0.4L.
Nnk

Homework Statement

33ue45k.png

A child of mass m is supported on a light plank by his parents, who exert the forces F1 and F2 as indicated.
Find the forces required to keep the plank in static equilibrium. Use the right end of the planks as the axis of rotation. ( Answer: F1=(1/4)mg, F2=(3/4)mg )
Suppose the child moves to a new position, with the result that the force exerted by the father is reduced to 0.60mg. How far did the child move?

Homework Equations

Torque = F*r
Net force acting on plant equal to zero: F1+F2-mg=0
Net torque acting on plant equal to zero: -F1(L) + mg(L/4) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no Idea how to find the distance, as when I tried it, the "L" cancels out...

Physics news on Phys.org
Show you calculations. You made a mistake somewhere.

SteamKing said:
Show you calculations. You made a mistake somewhere.
I did 0.60mg*L -mg(?L) = 0 because that's all I could think of, but obviously the L's cancel.. so I'm not sure how to do it

You apply the same equations of static equilibrium that applied to the original problem.

Torque = F*r
Net force acting on plank equal to zero: F1+F2-mg=0
Net torque acting on plank equal to zero: -F1(L) + mg(X) = 0

You know that F2 = 0.6 mg. X is the location of the child from his father.

Based on what SteamKing posted, I got .4L. Can anyone confirm?

Edit: X=(.4L) This is the new position, NOT the amount the baby moved.
So you have:

F1+F2-mg=0...(1)
-F1L+mg(X)=0...(2)

Solve for F1 in eq(1):
F1+(.6)mg-mg=0
F1=(.4mg)

Now plug into eq(2) and solve for X:
(-.4mg)L+mg(X)=0
mg(X)=(.4mg)L
X=(.4L)

Initial position was L/4, and new position is .4L=2L/5; so X(i)-X(f)=(2L/5)-L/4=(3L/20)

Last edited by a moderator:
SteamKing said:
You apply the same equations of static equilibrium that applied to the original problem.

Torque = F*r
Net force acting on plank equal to zero: F1+F2-mg=0
Net torque acting on plank equal to zero: -F1(L) + mg(X) = 0

You know that F2 = 0.6 mg. X is the location of the child from his father.
Malabeh said:
Based on what SteamKing posted, I got .4L. Can anyone confirm?

Edit: X=(.4L) This is the new position, NOT the amount the baby moved.
So you have:

F1+F2-mg=0...(1)
-F1L+mg(X)=0...(2)

Solve for F1 in eq(1):
F1+(.6)mg-mg=0
F1=(.4mg)

Now plug into eq(2) and solve for X:
(-.4mg)L+mg(X)=0
mg(X)=(.4mg)L
X=(.4L)

Initial position was L/4, and new position is .4L=2L/5; so X(i)-X(f)=(2L/5)-L/4=(3L/20)
Thank you! It is indeed correct. My mistake was using (X)L instead of X, which is why it went wrong

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is the product of the force applied to an object and the distance between the axis of rotation and the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque can be calculated using the formula: torque = force x distance. The unit of torque is Newton-meters (N*m).

3. What is the difference between torque and force?

While both torque and force involve the application of a force, torque is specifically related to the rotational motion of an object, while force can cause both rotational and linear motion.

4. Can torque change the direction of an object's rotation?

Yes, torque can change the direction of an object's rotation. This is because torque is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of torque is perpendicular to the plane of rotation.

5. How does the distribution of mass affect an object's torque?

The distribution of mass affects an object's torque because it determines the location of the object's center of mass. The further away the center of mass is from the axis of rotation, the greater the torque will be.