1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Dynamics

1. Nov 26, 2005 #1
    Hello there, ive got a problem here.
    A solid cylinder of radius 0.8 m and mass 4.0 kg is at rest. A 4.0 N m torque is applied to the cylinder about an axis through its centre.

Calculate the angular velocity of the cylinder, in rad s-1 , after the torque has been applied for 2.0 s.

how do i go about solving this problem. what should i be considering first.
    thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

Think of Newton's second law for rotational systems. The linear version is F=ma. What is the rotational equivilent?
  4. Nov 26, 2005 #3
    torque=(m.r^2).angular acceleration
    since torque=F.r=ma.r
    where a=r.angular acceleration.
  5. Nov 26, 2005 #4
    I'm really not sure what you just wrote there, though I have a feeling you're missing something. If I'm correct, you have the form of the equation as

[tex]\sum \tau = (m r^2) \alpha[/tex]

It also looks like you have your definition of torque mixed up. Torque is defined as such: [tex]\tau = R cross s[/tex]. (what exactly is the tex for cross product x as opposed to curly mathematical x?) Since the cross product of R and s is ||R|| ||s|| sin(angle between r and s), if R and s are at a 90 degree angle it reduces down to the [tex]\tau = F r[/tex] that you stated, but only if they meet at a 90 degree angle. (You can, of course, take components to find the perpundicular and parallel forces ;) )

However, your statement that the sum of the torques is equal to mr^2*alpha is false in all but one case. The proper general form is

[tex]\sum \tau = I \alpha[/tex]

where I is the moment of inertia of the body.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  6. Nov 27, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

Somehow, you got this far into your physics course and you STILL ignore the Sum:
    [tex]\Sigma \vec{F} = m \vec{a}[/tex] , not just F = ma .

In rotation, rotational Inertia depends on shape, which can change! Learn:
    [tex]\Sigma \vec{\tau} = \frac{\Delta \vec{L}}{\Delta t} = sometimes = I \vec{\alpha} [/tex] (if shape is constant).
    each [tex]\vec{\tau} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F} [/tex] helps to cause the effect, on the right-hand-side.
    (NEVER ignore the Delta, which operates on the L and the t).
    In your case, [tex]L = I \omega[/tex] , where solid disk (cylinder) Inertia is
    (look up a table in your book. BOOKMARK it. Shapes differ!) I = ½ M R^2 .
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?