Solved: Rotational Dynamics | Angular Speed=3.1 rad/sec

In summary, the problem involves a thin uniform rod of length 2.0 m pivoting about a horizontal, frictionless pin through one end. It is released from rest at an angle of 40 degrees above the horizontal. Using the principle of conservation of energy, the angular speed of the rod as it passes through the horizontal position is calculated to be 3.1 rad/sec. The rotational kinetic energy can also be calculated by adding the kinetic energy of the center of mass to the rotational kinetic energy about the center of mass.
iamkristing
[SOLVED] rotational dynamics

Homework Statement

A thin uniform rod has length 2.0 m and can pivot about a horizontal, frictionless pin through one end. It is released from rest as angle theta=40 above the horizontal. Use the principle of conservation of energy to determine the angular speed of the rod as it passes through the horizontal position.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used mgh=.5mv^2 and found v=6.26

Since w=v/r I found the angular speed to be 6.26/2=3.1 rad/sec

I think this is how the problem is worked out...I'm just not sure. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the rotational KE?

Would the rotational KE be .5Iwf^2?

Where I=(1/12)ML^2 and then you just add that on to the final kinetic energy and solve for vf?

You could find the total KE by adding the KE of the center of mass to the rotational KE about the center of mass. But much easier to treat the rod as purely rotating about one end.

ok thanks I got it!

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis. It involves the application of Newton's laws of motion to rotational motion.

2. What does angular speed=3.1 rad/sec mean?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating. It is defined as the change in angular displacement over a given time interval. In this case, an angular speed of 3.1 rad/sec means that the object is rotating at a rate of 3.1 radians per second.

3. How is rotational dynamics related to angular speed?

Rotational dynamics and angular speed are closely related because angular speed is one of the key variables used to describe rotational motion. Other important variables include angular acceleration, torque, and moment of inertia.

4. What are some real-life examples of rotational dynamics?

Some common examples of rotational dynamics in everyday life include the spinning of a top, the rotation of a wheel, and the swinging of a pendulum. Other examples include the motion of planets around the sun and the rotation of a ceiling fan.

5. How is rotational dynamics different from linear dynamics?

The main difference between rotational dynamics and linear dynamics is that rotational dynamics deals with the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis, while linear dynamics deals with the motion of objects along a straight line. Additionally, rotational dynamics involves the use of angular quantities such as angular speed and torque, while linear dynamics uses linear quantities such as velocity and force.