1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Dynamics

1. Nov 16, 2013 #1
    When I am browsing through my rotational dynamics chapter, I raise myself a question on the direction of frictional force under all kinds of possible circumstances:

1. Pure rolling

For pure rolling, the frictional force will always be 0;

2. Non-pure rolling
    For this situation, I will analyse with a model: A rolling ball lying on a level ground. And to simplify my listing, I will ignore some situations if they are similar to each other.

2.1 ω anti-clockwise v left

(1) ωR<v

Frictional force will tend to slow V down and increase ω, hence it is to the right;

(2) ωR>v

Frictional force will tend to increase V up and slow ω down. Hence it is to the left;

2.2 ω anti-clockwise v right

At first, the frictional force will be to the left(Slow down both ω and v)

But later, I think two situations may occur:

ω is not sufficiently large but v is sufficiently large, ω will be decreased to 0. And continuously, frictional force will be to the left to increase ω clockwisely until pure rolling occurs.

v is not sufficiently large but ω is sufficiently large, v will be decreased to 0. And after that, frictional force will be to the left to increase v leftwards until pure rolling occurs.

If ω and v just happen to be such nice that it will be decreased to 0 at the same time, the object will just stop then.

My idea in analyzing the frictional force is that: Non-pure rolling will always tend to transit itself into pure-rolling condition.

Thank you for spending time on reading this but could you please tell me whether my analysis is correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That seems consistent with what happens when you drive a car.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook