Rotational Dynamics Homework: Velocity & Acceleration of Wheel

In summary: As for the language: I'm pretty sure it's not your native tongue, as it isn't mine either, but you're doing fine. Don't worry about a few hiccups here and there, we all have them. Keep practicing and things will get better. :smile:In summary, the problem involves a wheel spinning at 1200rpm and decelerating linearly until it stops after 100 seconds. The goal is to determine the velocity and acceleration of a point 10cm from the center of mass after 50 seconds of deceleration. By using equations for angular velocity and acceleration, the solution can be found by understanding the relationships between these variables. After rereading notes and understanding the terminology, the
lukatwo

Homework Statement

A wheel is spinning at n=1200rpm. The wheel starts to linearly decelerate, and after t=100s it stops. Determine the velocity, and acceleration of a point 10cm from the center of the mass, after 50 seconds of decelerating. The radius of the wheel is 30cm.

Homework Equations

Since the wheel is spinning without sliding [itex]
v=ωr
[/itex]

[itex]
ω=n{\frac{2∏}{60}}
[/itex]

[itex]
a_{CM}=ωα
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm generally having a problem of understanding the relations between all the different velocities, and accelerations. I can determine the angular velocity, but am pretty much lost from thereon out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to explain a bit more about the variable names you use, in the equations in particular: what is aCM ? Don't see it anywhere else.

Your attempt at a solution is not.

My diagnose is: read up in your notes and in your textbook or on the web (wiki or hyperphysics).

It's not rocket science (although...:smile:) and there are a lot of analogies with linear motion.

Re "pretty much lost": come on. They tell you 1200 rpm linearly goes to 0 rpm in 100 s. What would it be after 50 s ?
And you know how to convert rpm to angular speed. You have another useful equation and presto: there's your velocity. Acceleration is a bit more involved, but I'm not going to spoonfeed that until you have read up on the subject. Probably won't have to anymore then anyway. Good hunting!

Likes 1 person
Thanks, in the absence of an answer I've reread my notes, and managed to solve the problem. I've had to put everything in it's place in my head(all the different accelerations, and velocities). English is obviously not my mother language so I probably got the terminology part wrong.

Still glad you could work your own way through this!

I would recommend breaking down the problem into smaller components and using the equations provided to solve for each one individually. First, you can calculate the angular velocity (ω) using the given rotational speed (n). Then, you can use the equation v=ωr to determine the linear velocity (v) of the point 10cm from the center of mass. From there, you can use the given time (t) and the final linear velocity (v) to calculate the deceleration (a) using the equation a = (vf - vi)/t. Finally, you can use the equation a=ωα to solve for the angular acceleration (α).

It may also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem and the different components involved. Additionally, you can refer to your textbook or class notes for more information on rotational dynamics and the relationships between different velocities and accelerations in a spinning object.

What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis.

What is the velocity of a wheel?

The velocity of a wheel refers to the rate of change of its angular displacement with respect to time. It is usually measured in radians per second.

What is the acceleration of a wheel?

The acceleration of a wheel refers to the rate of change of its angular velocity with respect to time. It is usually measured in radians per second squared.

How is angular velocity related to linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related by the radius of the wheel. The linear velocity is equal to the product of the angular velocity and the radius of the wheel.

How does the moment of inertia affect rotational dynamics?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. Objects with a higher moment of inertia will require more torque to produce the same amount of angular acceleration.