1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational energies

1. May 11, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ok so i have 5 wavelengths of the rotational spectrum of a certain molecule. I need to find the moment of inertia.

I have the equation down to I=(Hbar * wavelength)/(hc)

Do i just use the shortest wavelength to figure out the moment of intertia? No radius was given.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2005 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did you get this formula? Check it. The unit of I should be mass times length squared and you have "second".

ehild

4. May 13, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The book gave me the equation and i figured what 'I' would be. Its an HCl module molecule.

5. May 13, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I don't know where that equation comes from--the units don't make sense.

Treating the HCL molecule as a rigid rotor, the allowable rotational energy levels are:
    [tex]E_J = J (J +1) \frac {\hbar^2}{2I}[/tex]

You should be able to relate the wavelengths to transistions between levels.

6. May 13, 2005 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To Pendwuino:

It has to be known that only such transitions are allowed where J changes by +1 or -1. If you have absorption spectrum the spectrum lines correspond to the transitions from J to J+1. In an emission spectrum, it is the opposite, the molecule emits a photon while it gets back from the J+1-th rotational level to the J-th one.

The energy of a the photon emitted is

[tex]hf=((J+2)(J+1)-J(J+1))\frac{\hbar^2}{2I}=(J+1)\frac{\hbar^2}{I}[/tex]
    The emission spectrum of a two-atomic molecule consists of equidistant spectral lines, which correspond to transitions on to the levels J=0, J=1...and so on. The difference between the frequencies of two closest lines is
    [tex]\Delta f = \frac{h}{4\pi^2I}[/tex]
    You know the wavelength of the spectral lines. Calculate the frequencies from the wavelengths
    [tex]f=c/\lambda[/tex]. Sort the frequencies and calculate the difference between the subsequent ones. Take the average: and calculate I from it.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?