1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Energy Conservation

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    A thin, unirform rod (I=1/3ML^2) of length L and mass M is pivoted about one end. A small metal ball of mass m=2M is attached to the road a distance d from the pivot. The rod and ball are realeased from rest in a horizontal position and allowed to swing downward without friction or air resistance.

a) show that when the rod reaches the vertical position, the speed of its tip is:
    v = [tex]\sqrt{3gL}\sqrt{(1 + 4(d/L))/(1 + 6(d/L)^{2})}[/tex]

b) At what finite value of d/L is the speed of the rod the same as it is for d=0? (This value of d/L is the center of percussion, or "sweet spot" of the rod.)

For part a i know its Ei = Ef, but im not sure what you should be using to calculate it..
    The rod has Ei = MgL, and [tex]Ef=1/2I\omega^{2} + Mg(L/2)[/tex] But i don't know what i should calculate for the ball, potential at the top and rotational kinetic at the bottom?

i haven't even looked at part b yet.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2007 #2
    bump?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?