1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational energy levels of NH3

1. Nov 19, 2006 #1
    I'm supposed to calculate the rotational energy levels of NH3, which is a symmetric rotator. The rotational energy levels are determined by the equation

EJK = hcBJ(J+1) + hc(A-B)K^2, where J = 0, 1, 2,..., and K = 0, +/-1, +/-2,..., +/-J

I don't quite get it. Are there a very limited set of rotational energy levels for NH3 that makes it practically possible for me to calculate each one of them, or should I calculate only the, say, first four possible levels? I've looked around for clues in my textbook, but I can't see that there are any.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

With no upper limit on J there are infinitely many energy levels. This is similar to the energy levels of electrons in an atiom. Start at the bottom and work your way up.

4. Nov 22, 2006 #3
    I had already solved it myself before you responded, but thanks anyway! I'll probably need more help in the future.

5. Nov 22, 2006 #4
    Oh, I guess I should make it clear if I no longer need help with a problem I've asked for help solving. It's certainly not OK for me to waste your time. My apologies!

6. Nov 22, 2006 #5

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It would be good of you to do that. Not a problem here since I did not do much work and needed a bit of review anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?