How Is Gravitational Potential Energy Calculated in a Rotating Stick Scenario?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a meter stick pivoted at one end and released to swing freely. The question asks for the change in gravitational potential energy as the stick swings through the vertical. The solution involves considering the displacement of the center of mass of the stick and using the equation KE_1+PE_1=KE_2+PE_2. No moment of inertia calculations are needed for this problem.
Kenchin
A stick with a mass of 0.170Kg and a length of 1.00m is pivoted about one end so it can rotate without friction about a horizontal axis. The meter stick is held in a horizontal position and released.

1) As it swings through the vertical, calculatethe change in gravitational potential energy that has occurred. Gravity = 9.81m/s^2

Alright So for this one I have no idea really where to begin except to find the Moment of inertia. 1/3 ML^2. Substituting I get 1/3 (.170kg) (1)^2

The problem with that is is that I don't know how to find the potential energy because there is no height given to use U=mgh. I tried to use Mgy(y is in cm) and that didnt work well because it gave me (.170kg)(9.81m/s^2)(100cm). Where would I go from here considering there is no w (angular velocity) or anything given.:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct, you don't know the actual height, but you do know the change in height. Consider the centre of mass of the rule, a sketch may be helpful.

You don't actually need any moment of inertia calculations for this question.

-Hoot:smile:

The problem I guess that I'm having is visualizing the problem, the way I visualize it is a pendulum starting from the 0 or 2(pi) section and swinging to the (pi). Is this the proper visualization? If so then the maximum height would be 2m's. Then in this case it would be KE_1+PE_1=KE_2+PE_2. This way, KE_1=0, PE_1=.170Kg(9.81 m/s^2)(2m). But if this was the case then all the potential energy would convert into kinetic energy at the bottom of the swing (through the verticle). But this then yields nothing helpful, what might be wrong with my visualization?

Last edited:
The question states that the rule begins horizontal, the rule is then release and allowed to swing freely. The question asks what the change in potential energy is when the rule is pointing vertically down. Imagine the rule is a straight horiztonal line at y = 0, the rule now pivots about the origin until it is a straight line at x = 0. Think about that displacement of the centre of mass.

-Hoot

1. What is rotational energy and how is it different from linear energy?

Rotational energy is a type of energy associated with the spinning motion of an object around an axis. It is different from linear energy, which is associated with the movement of an object in a straight line. Rotational energy is dependent on an object's moment of inertia and angular velocity, while linear energy is dependent on an object's mass and linear velocity.

2. How is rotational energy calculated?

Rotational energy is calculated using the formula E = 1/2 Iω^2, where E is the rotational energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, and it can be calculated by summing the mass of each particle in the object multiplied by its distance from the axis of rotation squared.

3. What is the principle of conservation of rotational energy?

The principle of conservation of rotational energy states that in an isolated system, the total amount of rotational energy remains constant. This means that rotational energy can be transferred between different forms (such as kinetic energy and potential energy) but the total amount will remain the same.

4. How does rotational energy affect objects in motion?

Rotational energy can affect objects in motion by causing them to spin faster or slower depending on the forces acting on them. For example, a spinning top will continue to spin as long as it has sufficient rotational energy to overcome the forces of friction and air resistance.

5. What are some real-world applications of rotational energy?

Rotational energy has many practical applications, such as in the operation of engines, turbines, and generators. It is also important in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, where rotational energy is used to perform various spins and flips. Additionally, rotational energy is crucial in the design and functioning of many mechanical devices, such as gears, wheels, and pulleys.