Maximum Height of Ball on U-Shaped Ramp

In summary: Yes, if there was friction on both sides of the U, the rotational energy of the ball would help to drive it upward and it would reach the original height that it started from on the frictionless side.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

From an İnitial Lenght h,a solid ball rolls smoothly down one side of a U-shaped ramp and then moves up the other side,which is frictionless.What maximum height does the ball reach ?

Homework Equations

Energy conservation equations

The Attempt at a Solution

İnitial Kinetic energy is mgh and final energy wlll be mgh'...Is there some lost energy ?.When the object goes down it has also rotational energy,but when it climbs it cannot rotate so there's no rotational energy so
##mgh'=\frac 1 2mv^2## and ##mgh=\frac 1 2Iω^2+\frac 1 2mv^2## (In bottom)

from that I gain ##h'=h-\frac {v^2} {5g}## but answer says ##h'=\frac {5h} {7}##

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
When the object goes down it has also rotational energy,but when it climbs it cannot rotate so there's no rotational energy ##
What would cause the ball to stop rotating when it starts up the other side?

TSny said:
What would cause the ball to stop rotating when it starts up the other side?
no friction

Why would the absence of friction stop the rotational motion of the ball?

there would be no torque to rotate the ball ?

If something is already rotating, you don't need a torque to keep it rotating. Think of a spinning top. If no friction acts on the top, then it will keep spinning "forever". You would need a torque to stop it rotating.

Likes Arman777
I got 5h/7 as an answer. I couldn't follow what you were doing so I can't really help troubleshoot.

The main idea that I stucked is where is the lost energy ? initially it is energy is ##mgh## right ?

It looked like the two initial equations you wrote were correct. The initial potential energy is converted to linear and rotational kinetic energy. And then you showed the final potential (edit correction) energy equal to the linear kinetic energy. That is right. There is no longer any friction so the ball just keeps rotating with no friction to stop it. Therefore, that rotational kinetic energy is not lost (it just keeps going), but it does not get converted back to potential energy. So it looked to me like your thinking was correct.

Likes Arman777
TomHart said:
It looked like the two initial equations you wrote were correct. The initial potential energy is converted to linear and rotational kinetic energy. And then you showed the final potential (edit correction) energy equal to the linear kinetic energy. That is right. There is no longer any friction so the ball just keeps rotating with no friction to stop it. Therefore, that rotational kinetic energy is not lost (it just keeps going), but it does not get converted back to potential energy. So it looked to me like your thinking was correct.

then where am I going wrong ?

Arman777 said:
The main idea that I stucked is where is the lost energy ? initially it is energy is ##mgh## right ?
Is the ball rotating at the start? Is it rotating at the bottom of the U? Is it rotating when it reaches its highest point on the other side?

Arman777 said:
I don't know. I can't see any in between steps.

Arman777 said:
You have left v in your answer, which is not a given variable. You need to express v in terms of h.

I found it finally,Just one question,
TomHart said:
here is no longer any friction so the ball just keeps rotating with no friction to stop it.
I understand this part.
TomHart said:
Therefore, that rotational kinetic energy is not lost (it just keeps going), but it does not get converted back to potential energy.
so the change in rotational energy is zero that's why it didnt converted to potantial energy ?

Even there's no friction ball with rotate but it will not converted to potantial energy ? .I thought it will not rotate and then derive those equations but I see that it will rotate...

Arman777 said:
so the change in rotational energy is zero that's why it didnt converted to potantial energy ?
Right. Once the ball hits the no-friction surface, it will just keep spinning forever - well, or until it slides back down and hits the surface with friction again.

Likes Arman777
TomHart said:
Right. Once the ball hits the no-friction surface, it will just keep spinning forever - well, or until it slides back down and hits the surface with friction again.

I see now...withouth friction just gravaity will affect and it will came back with an acceleration (ıf its a ramp at angle ##θ## then ##a=mgsinθ##)

Yes, if there was friction on both sides of the U, the rotational energy of the ball would help to drive it upward and it would reach the original height that it started from on the original side. Without friction on the upward climb, that rotational energy never gets engaged to help with the climb.

Likes Arman777

1. What is rotational energy?

Rotational energy is a type of kinetic energy that an object possesses due to its rotational motion. It is a result of an object's mass, its moment of inertia, and its angular velocity.

2. How is rotational energy different from linear energy?

Rotational energy is different from linear energy in that it is associated with rotational motion, while linear energy is associated with straight-line motion. Rotational energy also takes into account an object's moment of inertia, which is not a factor in linear energy.

3. What is the formula for calculating rotational energy?

The formula for rotational energy is E = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where E is the rotational energy in joules, I is the moment of inertia in kilograms per square meter, and ω is the angular velocity in radians per second.

4. Can rotational energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, rotational energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as thermal energy or electrical energy. This can happen through processes like friction or generators.

5. How is rotational energy important in everyday life?

Rotational energy is important in everyday life as it is the basis of many technologies and machines. From simple tools like a wheel and axle to complex machines like cars and turbines, rotational energy plays a crucial role in making our lives easier and more efficient.