Calculating Rotational Inertia for a Section of a Right Circular Cylinder

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the rotational inertia of a section of a right circular cylinder with radius R and angle 'theta knot' at the origin, with the reference axis also at the origin and perpendicular to the section. The formula used is I=Integral(R2*dm) with dm=density*dV, and the suggestion to use cylindrical coordinates is given for assistance with the problem.
brad sue
Hi,
Please take a look at this:

Calculate the rotational inertia of a section of a right circular cylinder of radius R that subtends an angle of 'theta knot' at the origin when the reference axis is at the origin and perpendicular to the section.

I tried to draw the picture in the attachment.
I tried to use the formula I=Integral(R2*dm), with dm =density*dV
where V is the volume. I would like to know if I am in the good direction

Thank you for your help

B

Attachments

• rotational.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 172
Physics news on Phys.org
brad sue said:
Calculate the rotational inertia of a section of a right circular cylinder of radius R that subtends an angle of 'theta knot' at the origin when the reference axis is at the origin and perpendicular to the section.
Lol, isn't it 'theta naught'? As in [itex]\theta_0[/itex]?

[tex]I=\int_V R^2\rho dV[/tex]
is always correct. You should go to cilindrical coordinates for this problem.

Help

Hi I am still stuck with with problem of inertia . please can someone help me.
Can you give me more suggestions
Brad

If I understand the question correctly, maybe this will help
[tex]\int_V R^2\rho dV =\rho \int_V r^2 r dr d\phi dz[/tex]

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a property of an object that describes its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It depends on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

2. How is rotational inertia different from regular inertia?

Rotational inertia and regular inertia are both properties that describe an object's resistance to motion. However, rotational inertia specifically refers to an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion, while regular inertia refers to an object's resistance to changes in linear motion.

3. What factors affect an object's rotational inertia?

An object's rotational inertia is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. Objects with more mass and a more spread out distribution of mass have a higher rotational inertia, while objects with less mass and a more compact distribution of mass have a lower rotational inertia.

4. How is rotational inertia measured?

Rotational inertia is typically measured in units of kilogram-meter squared (kg·m²). It can be calculated using the equation I = Σmr², where I is the moment of inertia, Σm is the sum of the masses of all the particles in the object, and r is the distance from each particle to the axis of rotation.

5. Why is rotational inertia important in physics?

Rotational inertia is important in physics because it helps us understand and predict how objects will behave when they are rotating. It is also essential in many practical applications, such as designing machines and vehicles that involve rotational motion.