Rotational inertia hoop around a central axis

In summary, the question asks about the moment of inertia for a system consisting of three masses forming a hoop shape and a thin rod. The formula for the moment of inertia for a hoop around a central axis and a thin rod about an axis through the center perpendicular to its length are given. The shape of the stationary object is important for the moment of inertia calculation. It is unclear from the question, but it is assumed that the system is a lamina. The mass of each object is equal to the mass of the corresponding rectangle. The choice of how to cut the lamina into three rectangles affects the total moment of inertia due to different densities of the objects. The dimensions given in the question make it unclear which squares are included in each object,
SakuRERE

Homework Statement

upload_2018-10-19_10-4-32.png

Homework Equations

I= mr^2 for a hoop around a central axis
I= 1/12 (m)(l)^2 for thin rod about axis through center perpendicular to lenght

The Attempt at a Solution

I am totally confused. i said first that the three masses each will make a hoop shape so i found I=mr^2 for each mass and regarding the rod i can't imagine any thing!
please help

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-19_10-4-32.png
    upload_2018-10-19_10-4-32.png
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,007
Physics news on Phys.org
SakuRERE said:
the three masses each will make a hoop shape
For the purpose of moment of inertia, the shape is that of the stationary object, not the volume it will describe in space as it rotates.
It is unclear from the question, but I would guess this is supposed to be a lamina. The MoI of a rectangular lamina about a central axis parallel to one pair of sides is the same as for a stick. The width parallel to the axis is not relevant.

haruspex said:
For the purpose of moment of inertia, the shape is that of the stationary object, not the volume it will describe in space as it rotates.
It is unclear from the question, but I would guess this is supposed to be a lamina. The MoI of a rectangular lamina about a central axis parallel to one pair of sides is the same as for a stick. The width parallel to the axis is not relevant.
haruspex said:
central axis parallel to one pair of sides is the same as for a stick
do you mean both have same formula? if yes what is it?

SakuRERE said:
do you mean both have same formula? if yes what is it?
It's the formula you quoted for a stick, taking the length at right angles to the axis.

haruspex said:
It's the formula you quoted for a stick, taking the length at right angles to the axis.

what about the mass of the rod, what will be the value I am going to substitute in the 1/12(m)(l)^2 ?
and am I going to separate the rods into three segments?

SakuRERE said:
am I going to separate the rods into three segments?
Yes. Cut the lamina into three rectangles. There is more than one way. Pick the most convenient.
The mass in each case is the mass of the rectangle.

okay, but what i don't get is what is the mass of the rectangular. now imagine i am working on the upper segment. the mass would it be 4kg?? i don't know really if the 4 kg is the mass of the whole rectangular or only the mass of the part of the circle which is included in the segment itself! if it was for all the rectangular then i think it's somehow easier than the second assuming. because on the second assumption the mass is not distributed equally through the rectangular, and i have never face such a problem like this ( my knowledge of rotational inertia is really basic you can say we are studying a high school level only without going through integrals and stuff).
I am interested to know what's level of difficulty do you see in this question?

also, would you mind suggesting to me any useful videos on youtube or whatever about similar problems? or even a book including such problems, because i searched for somehow same ideas but couldn't find, it would be nice from you sir to help with it

SakuRERE said:
what i don't get is what is the mass of the rectangular.
Hmm.. I see what you mean. It is unclear what is included in each object. No matter which way you cut it, the densities vary.
The way the dimensions are given, it looks like the square where 1 and 2 meet belongs to 1, but where 2 and 3 meet it seems to be included in both.

Likes SakuRERE
haruspex said:
The way the dimensions are given, it looks like the square where 1 and 2 meet belongs to 1, but where 2 and 3 meet it seems to be included in both.
would you mind explain it more, i don't get which common squares you are refereing to?

SakuRERE said:
would you mind explain it more, i don't get which common squares you are refereing to?
Objects 1 and 2 meet at a 20mm x 20mm square. If all parts of the lamina were of the same density you could include this in object 1 (making it 100 x 20) or in object 2 (making object 1 80 x 20). Either way should give the same total. But since (it seems) the objects have different densities, the choice makes a difference to the total MoI.
Because the vertical dimension for object 2 (140mm) is given in a way that excludes that 20x20 square, it is reasonable to take that square as being part of object 1. But at the joint of objects 2 and 3 it is ambiguous. The 140mm suggests this square is part of object 2, but the 100mm length for object 3 implies it is part of object 3.

Likes SakuRERE
SakuRERE said:
only the mass of the part of the circle
I did not understand this comment before. I just realized you mean the circles around the object numbers. I am fairly sure these are just to show that the numbers are labels. There are no circular objects.
If the circles were objects then you would need to know exactly where they are, and we are not given their positions.

Likes SakuRERE
haruspex said:
I did not understand this comment before. I just realized you mean the circles around the object numbers. I am fairly sure these are just to show that the numbers are labels. There are no circular objects.
If the circles were objects then you would need to know exactly where they are, and we are not given their positions.
i thought that these are circles or (discs shape) because our professor said he will be providing us with necessary laws of MoI for each shape found in the diagram. so i said there is nothing other than the circles to make the hollow cylinder shell shape so that we use (I=MR^2). or is it that the upper segment of the rod and the lower segment will make that shape ( i starting to see it from another view)

SakuRERE said:
there is nothing other than the circles to make the hollow cylinder shell shape so that we use (I=MR^2).
There are many snags in interpreting the circles as being the objects.
- We are not given their exact positions.
- We are not given their radii
- If they are cylinders, with the given axis of rotation we would need to know their length (and a more complicated formula would apply)
- Even if they are just rings, the mr2 formula is for rotation about an axis normal to the plane of the ring (or cylinder). The axis here is in the plane of the rings.
So I cannot see the relevance of that particular formula. Did the prof imply that all provided formulae would be needed?

haruspex said:
There are many snags in interpreting the circles as being the objects.
- We are not given their exact positions.
- We are not given their radii
- If they are cylinders, with the given axis of rotation we would need to know their length (and a more complicated formula would apply)
- Even if they are just rings, the mr2 formula is for rotation about an axis normal to the plane of the ring (or cylinder). The axis here is in the plane of the rings.
So I cannot see the relevance of that particular formula. Did the prof imply that all provided formulae would be needed?
upload_2018-10-23_23-19-40.png
could this be right by any chance?

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-23_23-19-40.png
    upload_2018-10-23_23-19-40.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 364
SakuRERE said:
could this be right by any chance?
No.
There is nothing special about the longer of the two dimensions of a rectangle. What matters for the formula is which dimension is normal to the axis of rotation. The length parallel to the axis does not feature in the formula.

w
haruspex said:
No.
There is nothing special about the longer of the two dimensions of a rectangle. What matters for the formula is which dimension is normal to the axis of rotation. The length parallel to the axis does not feature in the formula.
what about this now :
upload_2018-10-24_1-13-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-24_1-13-11.png
    upload_2018-10-24_1-13-11.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 339

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is similar to the concept of mass in linear motion, but for rotational motion.

2. How is rotational inertia different from regular inertia?

Regular inertia, or simply inertia, is an object's resistance to changes in its state of motion, whether it is linear or rotational. However, rotational inertia specifically refers to an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion.

3. How is rotational inertia calculated for a hoop around a central axis?

The formula for calculating the rotational inertia of a hoop around a central axis is I = MR2, where I is the rotational inertia, M is the mass of the hoop, and R is the radius of the hoop.

4. Why is rotational inertia important in physics?

Rotational inertia is important in physics because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of rotating objects. It is a fundamental concept in rotational motion and is used in various fields such as mechanics, engineering, and astronomy.

5. How does the shape of an object affect its rotational inertia?

The shape of an object plays a significant role in determining its rotational inertia. Objects with more mass distributed farther from the axis of rotation will have a higher rotational inertia compared to objects with the same mass but with the mass concentrated closer to the axis of rotation.