Rotational Inertia of a block

The rotational inertia of the uniform solid block can be calculated as I = 1/12M(a^2+b^2) + M(h^2), where M is the mass of the block, a and b are the edge lengths, and h is the distance the block has shifted from the corner. By using the Pythagorean theorem, we can find that h = (1/3)*(a^2+b^2). Therefore, the rotational inertia can be simplified to I = 1/3M(a^2+b^2). When solving for the given values, we get a final answer of 4.7 x 10^-4 kg.m^2.
seraphimhouse

Homework Statement

The uniform solid block in Fig. 10-37 has mass .172 kg and edge lengths a = 0.035 m, b = .084 m, and c = .014 m. Calculate its rotational inertia about an axis through one corner and perpendicular to the large faces.

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c10/fig10_37.gif

Homework Equations

I = Icom + M(h^2)
I = 1/12M(a^2+b^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

With the pythagorean theorem, I found the distance it has shifted which was [1/2(a^2+b^2)]^1/2 = h so,

I = 1/12M(a^2+b^2) + M(h^2) substituting h with the previous discovery giving:

I = 1/12M(a^2+b^2) + M[1/2(a^2+b^2)] I still come out with an incorrect answer.

I'm wondering if the c should be included in the problem or not, but when I do input it in the Icom, it still does not work. I must be missing something important

The answer should be fitting with 4.7 x 10^-4 kg.m^2

Physics news on Phys.org
seraphimhouse said:
I = Icom + M(h^2)
I = 1/12M(a^2+b^2)

With the pythagorean theorem, I found the distance it has shifted which was [1/2(a^2+b^2)]^1/2 = h

I think your 1/2 is misplaced.

1/2*(a2 + b2)1/2

Squaring that for your || axis displacement yields

(1/12 + 1/4)*(a2 + b2) = 1/3*(a2 + b2)

I would recommend double-checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct equations for rotational inertia. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram and label all the variables before plugging them into the equations. Additionally, make sure you are using the correct units for each variable. If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a classmate or your instructor. Remember, it is important to understand the concept behind the calculation, not just the final answer. Keep practicing and don't be afraid to ask for help!

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is influenced by the mass and distribution of mass of an object. The larger the moment of inertia, the more difficult it is to change an object's rotational motion.

2. How is rotational inertia calculated?

The formula for rotational inertia is I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object's mass. This formula assumes that the mass is evenly distributed around the axis of rotation.

3. How does the shape of an object affect its rotational inertia?

The shape of an object can significantly impact its moment of inertia. Objects with a greater distribution of mass away from the axis of rotation, such as a ring or a disc, have a larger moment of inertia compared to objects with the same mass but a more concentrated distribution of mass, such as a solid sphere.

4. How does rotational inertia affect an object's motion?

The larger the rotational inertia of an object, the more difficult it is to change its rotational motion. This means that objects with a larger moment of inertia will require more force to accelerate or decelerate their rotational motion compared to objects with a smaller moment of inertia.

5. What are some real-life applications of rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia has many practical applications, such as in sports equipment like golf clubs and tennis rackets. It is also important in engineering, for example in designing car wheels to prevent them from slipping or in creating stable structures like bridges. Rotational inertia is also used in amusement park rides to create thrilling and safe experiences for riders.