1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Inertia of a hollow sphere(having trouble!)

1. Mar 12, 2005 #1
    Hello,mates.i`,ve been struggling to demonstrate the procedure to
    calculate the rotational inertia of a hollow/empty sphere around an axe that passes through its diameter.Please,could
    you shed me some light or show me the procedure(Even show me any online papers on it)I`d be Glad.Please help me! :bugeye:

The result is I=2/3(M*R^2).

THANK YOU!
    Jason,physicist21@yahoo.com

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] I=\int r^{2}dm [/tex] In the case of a sphere of radius R,the moment of inertia becomes

[tex] I=\int R^{2}\sin^{2}\vartheta \left( \frac{M}{4\pi R^{2}}dS\right) =\frac{1}{4\pi}MR^{2}\int_{0}^{2\pi}d\varphi\int_{0}^{\pi}d\vartheta \ \sin^{3}\vartheta [/tex]

Compute the integrals and get the result.

"r" is in the general case the distance between the mass element "dm" & the rotation axis.In this case,i've chosen spherical coordinates & the axis of rotation as Oz...

Daniel.

4. Mar 12, 2005 #3
    hey Daniel,thanks!!!But,i`m still confused about the choice of dm and the use of coordinates to use on the integrals.could ya elaborate some more?(my professor wants things with so much detail! :cry: ).Once more,i thank you and wait for yer answer. Jason.

5. Mar 12, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've chosen a completely arbitrary mass element of the sphere.I assumed that the density of the sphere is constant & equal to the ratio between the sphere's mass & its surface.Then the mass "dm" of the surface element "dS" and the element of the surface "dS" are linked through

[tex] \mbox{mass}=\mbox{density}\cdot \mbox{surface} [/tex]

[tex] dm=\frac{M}{4\pi R^{2}} dS [/tex]

That's all there is to it.

The parametrization of the 2 sphere is of course:

[tex] \left\{ \begin{array}{c}x=R\sin\vartheta\cos\varphi\\y=R\sin\vartheta\sin\varphi\\z=R\cos\vartheta \end{array} \right [/tex]

which induces the surface element

[tex] dS=R^{2}\sin\vartheta \ d\vartheta \ d\varphi [/tex]

Daniel.

6. Mar 12, 2005 #5
    Daniel,i`m almost there.i just have one more doubt.Where the result [tex] dS=R^{2}\sin\vartheta \ d\vartheta \ d\varphi [/tex] comes from?I wont bother ya anymore;) thanks!

7. Mar 12, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's the surface element in spherical coordinates...It's famous and it is deduced in a course on calculus/analysis.It can be even justified by geometrical arguments.

Daniel.

8. Mar 12, 2005 #7
    Sorry daniel:) i had forgoten for a moment this deduction) which is so easy.Now,i`ve made it.I`m just tired of demonstrating every inertia possible (big homework!).Ya helped a lot! thank ya! :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?