Why is it hard to walk without bending your knees?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of rotational inertia and its relation to walking without bending your knees. It is explained that the bulk of an object's mass to its axis determines its rotational inertia, and the harder it is to get something spinning, the greater its rotational inertia. The example of holding dumbbells and bending the arms to make it easier to spin is used to illustrate this concept. It is then suggested that walking involves rotating your leg about your hips, and bending your knee helps to reduce the rotational inertia in this motion.
celect
In the terms of rotational inertia why is it hard to walk without bending your knees?

The greater the bulk of the object mass to its axis the greater its rotational inertia.
how can I relate that to walking without bending knees?

I understand that with rotational inertia an object resist
any change in its state of rotation. I just down know how to
phrase this question

Physics news on Phys.org
The harder something is to get spinning, the more rotational inertia it has. If you want to get something spinning, does moving it closer to the axis of rotation make it easier or harder?

Let's take an example. Say you are standing with a 10 pound dumbell in each hand. Which way makes it easier for you to get yourself spinning (around a vertical axis): (1) holding your arms straight out and the weights as far from your body as possible?, or (2) holding your arms bent, the weights as close to your body as possible? The configuration that makes it easier to turn is the one with the smaller rotational inertia. Got it?

So... what are you doing when you walk? You are rotating your leg about your hips, right? What does bending your knee do?

It is hard to walk without bending your knees because the human body has a significant amount of mass and bulk, particularly in the upper body, which creates a high rotational inertia. This means that when we walk, our body naturally resists any changes in its state of rotation, making it difficult to keep our legs straight and move in a smooth, coordinated manner. Bending our knees helps to reduce the rotational inertia and allows for easier movement while walking.

1. Why do we need to bend our knees to walk?

Our knees are an important part of our body's structure and are responsible for supporting our weight, allowing us to move and absorb shock. When we walk, our legs need to propel our body forward, and bending our knees helps us to do this by providing a spring-like action that helps us move more efficiently.

2. Is it bad to walk without bending your knees?

Yes, it can be bad for your body to walk without bending your knees. When we walk with our knees straight, our legs act as stiff levers, making it harder for our muscles and joints to absorb shock and distribute our body weight properly. This can lead to strain on our muscles and joints, causing pain and discomfort.

3. Can walking with straight legs cause long-term damage?

Walking with straight legs can put unnecessary strain on our muscles and joints, causing long-term damage if done repeatedly. This can lead to conditions such as tendonitis, shin splints, and knee pain. It is important to maintain proper form and bend our knees while walking to prevent long-term damage.

4. Why is it harder to walk without bending your knees as you get older?

As we age, our joints and muscles become weaker and less flexible, making it harder for us to walk without bending our knees. This is because our muscles are not as strong as they used to be, and our joints have less range of motion. Bending our knees helps to compensate for these changes and allows us to walk more comfortably.

5. Can I improve my ability to walk without bending my knees?

Yes, you can improve your ability to walk without bending your knees by regularly stretching and strengthening the muscles in your legs. This will help to improve your range of motion and increase the strength of your muscles, making it easier to walk with straight legs. It is also important to maintain good posture and proper form while walking to prevent unnecessary strain on your muscles and joints.