1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational inertia

1. Dec 5, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I would like to calculate the function of a rotating disc that has 2 spring slowing it down. (look at my pictures to understand)

Let say I turn my disc 90 degrees clockwise and release it, it is going to oscillate a certain moment than stop.

discrotating.png

I want to plot that function and to have a sinus function decreasing to 0 after a "x" number of period.

Thanks for your help,
    Jean-Philippe

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2013 #2

K^2

Science Advisor

Doesn't work quite like that. A torsion spring pendulum is typically described by damped harmonic oscillator equation. For the equation of the following form.

[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} + 2 \zeta \omega_0 \frac{dx}{dt} + \omega_0^2 = 0[/tex]

And for initial conditions [itex]x(t) = x_0[/itex], [itex]x'(0) = 0[/itex], the general solution has the following form.

[tex]x(t) = x_0 e^{-\zeta \omega_0 t} \left( cos(\omega t) + \frac{\zeta \omega_0}{\omega} sin(\omega t) \right)[/tex]

Where the angular frequency is [itex]\omega = \omega_0 \sqrt{1-\zeta^2}[/itex]. To figure out the parameters [itex]\omega_0[/itex] and [itex]\zeta[/itex], you can follow prescription in the torsional harmonic oscillators article. But basically, you want [itex]0 < \zeta < 1[/itex] if you want decaying sinusoidal motion. Higher value will result in faster decay, but there is no way to say that it will make N oscillations. Each oscillation will be smaller than the last by a fixed ratio, but it never goes perfectly to zero. And, of course, once you figured out [itex]\zeta[/itex], you can find [itex]\omega_0[/itex] that gives you desired frequency of oscillations.

4. Dec 6, 2013 #3
    This is my project, it is not a pendulum.

2013_10_02_09_55_32.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook