Is rotational inertia an intrinsic property of an object?

In summary, rotational inertia is an extrinsic property of an object, meaning it is a property of the object as a whole and not of its individual parts. This is because rotational inertia deals with the resistance to change in rotational motion, which is a property of the object's overall shape and distribution of mass, rather than an inherent property of each individual component.
Erenjaeger

Homework Statement

Is rotational inertia an intrinsic property of an object?[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that rotational inertia is a property of an object that deals with a resistance to a change in the state of rotational motion but is it an intrinsic property? I wouldn't have thought that it was intrinsic because it deals with something that changes outside of any object.
any help is appreciated. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Erenjaeger said:

Homework Statement

Is rotational inertia an intrinsic property of an object?[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that rotational inertia is a property of an object that deals with a resistance to a change in the state of rotational motion but is it an intrinsic property? I wouldn't have thought that it was intrinsic because it deals with something that changes outside of any object.
any help is appreciated. [/B]
Look up the definition, e.g. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrinsic_and_extrinsic_properties

Erenjaeger said:
i don't understand what you mean? i know what intrinsic means
is it intrinsic because its the object itself that has the rotational inertia ?

Erenjaeger said:
i don't understand what you mean? i know what intrinsic means
No, it seems you do not understand the meanings of intrinsic and extrinsic in physics.
The density of a material is an intrinsic property; the mass of an object made of the material is an extrinsic property.
Read the link I posted.

+1

Basically they are asking if the moment of inertia of an object is an intrinsic property of an object. Read the link haruspex posted and decide if the moment of inertia of an object is an intrinsic property or not.

haruspex said:
No, it seems you do not understand the meanings of intrinsic and extrinsic in physics.
The density of a material is an intrinsic property; the mass of an object made of the material is an extrinsic property.
Read the link I posted.
so i have read that article and i understand that an intrinsic property is a property that isn't changed and is there no matter the amount of material or if it is a different piece or only part of an object like density, so i don't think that rotational inertia is an intrinsic property, i don't see how it could be?

Erenjaeger said:
so i have read that article and i understand that an intrinsic property is a property that isn't changed and is there no matter the amount of material or if it is a different piece or only part of an object like density, so i don't think that rotational inertia is an intrinsic property, i don't see how it could be?
That's right. It is an extrinsic property, because it is a property of the body as a whole, not a property possessed by every part of the body independently.

Likes Erenjaeger

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of mass of an object and is affected by its shape and orientation.

2. Is rotational inertia an intrinsic property of an object?

Yes, rotational inertia is an intrinsic property of an object. This means it is a characteristic of the object itself and does not depend on its surroundings or external factors.

3. How is rotational inertia different from linear inertia?

Rotational inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while linear inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion. They are both intrinsic properties and are affected by an object's mass and distribution of mass.

4. How does rotational inertia affect an object's motion?

Rotational inertia affects an object's motion by determining how much force is needed to change its rotational velocity. Objects with a higher rotational inertia will require more force to change their rotation compared to objects with a lower rotational inertia.

5. Can an object's rotational inertia be changed?

Yes, an object's rotational inertia can be changed by altering its mass, distribution of mass, or shape. For example, a figure skater can spin faster by pulling their arms closer to their body, reducing their rotational inertia.