1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational inertias problem

1. Apr 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The masses and coordinates of four particles are as follows: 27 g, x = 2.0 cm, y = 2.0 cm; 16 g, x = 0, y = 4.0 cm; 43 g, x = -3.0 cm, y = -3.0 cm; 61 g, x = -2.0 cm, y = 4.0 cm. What are the rotational inertias of this collection about the (a) x, (b) y, and (c) z axes?

2. Relevant equations
    I'm not sure.. would I use parallel axis theorem?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to solve this problem.. help please =)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Shatzkinator! :smile:

You only need the parallel axis theorem for a solid body, for which you already know the moment of inertia about its c.o.m.

These are just point masses, so just use the definition of moment of inertia (rotational inertia) :wink:

4. Apr 23, 2009 #3
    Re: Rotation

Two thin rods (each of mass 0.50 kg) are joined together to form a rigid body as shown in Fig. 10-66. One of the rods has length L1 = 0.30 m, and the other has length L2 = 0.60 m. What is the rotational inertia of this rigid body about (a) an axis that is perpendicular to the plane of the paper and passes through the center of the shorter rod and (b) an axis that is perpendicular to the plane of the paper and passes through the center of the longer rod?

Fig. 10-66
    Problem 114.

also this question i can't get part B

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook