1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Inertias.

1. Sep 20, 2012 #1
    How to derive the Rotational Inertia for a flat plate.
    I do not see any symmetry about the axis of rotation as in a thin rod.

http://imageshack.us/a/img845/1134/53433231.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2012 #2
    Well, you just calculate it from the definition:

[tex]I = \int r^{2} \rho \mathrm{d}V[/tex]

The difference here is that the integral has to be evaluated in two dimensions. For a thin rod you can eliminate two coordinates (it's a one-dimensional body); this is a two-dimensional body.

4. Sep 20, 2012 #3
    Thank you.
    Can you elaborate more.
    Can you tell me what r represents in your equation?
    Your equation is antiderivatives not definite integral.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  5. Sep 21, 2012 #4
    Okay, r is the distance of the point you're evaluating to the axis of revolution. So [tex]\rho[/tex] is generally a function of r too.

It is a definite integral (I should have written [tex]\int_V[/tex] instead of [tex]\int[/tex]. You integrate over the volume of the body. That's why you only evaluate in one dimension for a thin rod, but two dimensions for a thin plane.

6. Sep 21, 2012 #5
    Hey Azizlwl,

Take a rectangular element of length a and height as given at a distance r from the axis. Make the width very small i.e. dr. What is the moment of inertia of this element about the axis? (Use parallel axis theorem). Now integrate. you will get your answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook