1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational kinematics and grinding wheel

1. Jan 31, 2004 #1
    i've been doing some physics problems out of the text and I was wondering: If an electric fan were to be turned off and you knew its angular acceleration, it is possible to find the number of revolutions it makes in a certain time interval?

also, i having a difficult time with this problem.

At t=0 a grinding wheel has an angular velocity of 22. rad/s. It has a constant angular acceleration of 32. rad/s^2 until a circuit breaker trips at time t=1.7 s. From then on, it turns through an angle 433. rad as it coasts to a stop at constant angular acceleration.
    I was able to find the total angle the wheel had turned between t=0 to the time it comes to a rest to be 516.64 rad, but now i have to find at what exact time it comes to a stop.. any pointers and tips are greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2004 #2

Science Advisor

1. find the rotation speed when the breaker tripped (Wf = Wi + a*t)
    2. find the deceleration from when breaker tripped (Wf^2 = Wi^2 + 2ad)
    3. find the time it took took to decelerate (d = Wi*t + (1/2)a*t^2)

That should work.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?