Rotational kinematics question

In summary, the problem involves a coin with a diameter of 1.50 cm being dropped on edge onto a horizontal surface with an initial angular speed of 13.4 rad/s. Using the formula wf^2 = wi^2 + 2a(dTheta), the angular acceleration of magnitude 2.03 rad/s2, and the given diameter, the coin rolls a distance of 44.2 radians before coming to rest. To translate this into meters, the number of radians in one revolution and the circumference of the coin would need to be considered.
Leid_X09
A coin with a diameter of 1.50 cm is dropped on edge onto a horizontal surface. The coin starts out with an initial angular speed of 13.4 rad/s and rolls in a straight line without slipping. If the rotation slows with an angular acceleration of magnitude 2.03 rad/s2, how far does the coin roll before coming to rest?

I know that wf^2 = wi^2 + 2a(dTheta) should be used, and I find theta to be 44.2 but the 44.2 is in rads, so how do i translate this into ms? What does the 1.50 diameter have to do with this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Leid_X09 said:
A coin with a diameter of 1.50 cm is dropped on edge onto a horizontal surface. The coin starts out with an initial angular speed of 13.4 rad/s and rolls in a straight line without slipping. If the rotation slows with an angular acceleration of magnitude 2.03 rad/s2, how far does the coin roll before coming to rest?

I know that wf^2 = wi^2 + 2a(dTheta) should be used, and I find theta to be 44.2 but the 44.2 is in rads, so how do i translate this into ms? What does the 1.50 diameter have to do with this problem?

How many radians to one revolution?

What distance is that? Maybe think circumference plays a part?

First of all, great job using the rotational kinematics equation to solve this problem! To answer your question, the diameter of the coin is important because it affects the distance the coin will roll before coming to rest. The diameter can be used to calculate the circumference of the coin, which is the distance the coin travels in one full revolution. In this case, the circumference would be 4.71 cm (1.50 cm x π).

To convert the angle in radians to distance in meters, you can use the formula: distance = radius x angle. In this problem, the radius would be half of the diameter, so 0.75 cm. The angle of 44.2 radians would then translate to a distance of 33.15 cm (0.75 cm x 44.2 radians).

However, since the question asks for the distance in meters, you would need to convert 33.15 cm to meters by dividing it by 100. The final answer would be approximately 0.3315 meters.

In summary, the diameter of the coin is important because it helps calculate the distance the coin travels in one full revolution, and the angle in radians can be converted to distance in meters using the formula distance = radius x angle.

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the study of the motion of objects that are rotating or moving in circular paths. It involves understanding the relationships between an object's angular position, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or moving in a circular path. It is usually represented by the symbol ω (omega) and is measured in radians per second.

3. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is the change in an object's angular velocity over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The unit for angular acceleration is radians per second squared.

4. What is the difference between linear and angular motion?

Linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line, while angular motion is the rotation of an object around an axis. Linear motion involves displacement, velocity, and acceleration, while angular motion involves angular position, velocity, and acceleration.

5. How does torque affect rotational motion?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. The greater the torque applied to an object, the greater its rotational acceleration will be. In other words, torque affects the rate at which an object rotates and can also change its direction of rotation.