Rotational Kinematics Question

In summary, the disk drive took 0.680 seconds to make its first complete revolution, and 0.54 seconds to make its second complete revolution.
sophixm

Homework Statement

A computer disk drive is turned on starting from rest and has constant angular acceleration.
If it took 0.680s for the drive to make its second complete revolution, how long did it take to make the first complete revolution? (t=?)

Homework Equations

Θ=(ct^2)/2 (i think)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, since the angular acceleration is constant, I'm assuming α=c (c being a constant).
So then the intergral with respect to time, would be ω=ct, and then Θ=(ct^2)/2
I tried solving for c using 4π(2 revolutions)=(c(.68^2))/2, and got 54.4 for c, and used that to solve for time of one revolution, but this is wrong. I guess what the problem is saying is that it took 0.680 seconds to go from 2π to 4π, so I am stuck

Physics news on Phys.org
sophixm said:

Homework Statement

A computer disk drive is turned on starting from rest and has constant angular acceleration.
If it took 0.680s for the drive to make its second complete revolution, how long did it take to make the first complete revolution? (t=?)

Homework Equations

Θ=(ct^2)/2 (i think)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, since the angular acceleration is constant, I'm assuming α=c (c being a constant).
So then the intergral with respect to time, would be ω=ct, and then Θ=(ct^2)/2
I tried solving for c using 4π(2 revolutions)=(c(.68^2))/2, and got 54.4 for c, and used that to solve for time of one revolution, but this is wrong. I guess what the problem is saying is that it took 0.680 seconds to go from 2π to 4π, so I am stuck

Take a step back. If something accelerates from rest and takes ##t_1## seconds to travel an angle ##\theta##, then how long does it take to travel a further ##\theta##?

sophixm said:
the problem is saying is that it took 0.680 seconds to go from 2π to 4π
Quite so. Are you familiar with the SUVAT equations for constant linear acceleration? The equations for constant rotational acceleration are strongly analogous.

haruspex said:
Quite so. Are you familiar with the SUVAT equations for constant linear acceleration? The equations for constant rotational acceleration are strongly analogous.
I believe so, ones like Θ=Θinitial+ωinitial(t)+(1/2)αt^2 right? I've taken some time to look at those but I'm still stuck. I'm familiar with the method of subbing in when you have two unknown variables, but i feel like I'm missing more that that. All I know is that at a time it has gone 2π radians, and 0.680 seconds from that time it has gone another 2π radians. I feel like I'm just missing something

sophixm said:
I believe so, ones like Θ=Θinitial+ωinitial(t)+(1/2)αt^2 right? I've taken some time to look at those but I'm still stuck. I'm familiar with the method of subbing in when you have two unknown variables, but i feel like I'm missing more that that. All I know is that at a time it has gone 2π radians, and 0.680 seconds from that time it has gone another 2π radians. I feel like I'm just missing something
Let ti, i = 0, 1, 2, be the time at which the ith rotation is completed (t0=0, of course). Likewise three 'distances' ##\theta_0, \theta_1, \theta_2##, one acceleration. What equations can you write down involving these?

What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the study of the motion of objects that are rotating or spinning around a fixed axis. It involves analyzing the velocity, acceleration, and displacement of these objects.

What are the three main variables in rotational kinematics?

The three main variables in rotational kinematics are angular velocity, angular acceleration, and angular displacement. Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, while angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity.

How is rotational kinematics different from linear kinematics?

Rotational kinematics deals with motion along a circular path, while linear kinematics deals with motion along a straight line. Additionally, rotational kinematics takes into account angular measures, such as radians and degrees, while linear kinematics uses linear measures, such as meters and kilometers.

What is the difference between angular velocity and tangential velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, while tangential velocity is the rate of change of linear displacement. In other words, angular velocity is the speed at which an object is rotating, while tangential velocity is the speed at which an object is moving along its circular path.

How is rotational kinematics used in real life?

Rotational kinematics is used in various real-life applications, such as in the design of engines, turbines, and wheels. It is also used in sports, such as baseball and figure skating, to analyze the angular motion of players and athletes. Additionally, rotational kinematics is essential in understanding the dynamics of rotating objects, such as the Earth and other planets in our solar system.