What is the sweet spot for rotational kinematics?

In summary, the image provided is for problem 2, which involves finding the linear speed of a rotating object. The individual has solved for the parameters 'w' and velocity tangential, but is struggling with understanding the concept of the 'sweet spot' and how to incorporate it into their solution. They are asked to use d, L, and x=L/2 in their answer, and replace each d/L with Z. They have also found the centre of mass to be Xcm = (L+2d)/3, but are unsure of where to go from there. They have been advised to use their expression for the linear speed of the tip and replace every d/L with z.
Pogorz

Homework Statement

i've altered this image to be easier to read. ignore problem 1 except for the information given. the picture of the rotating object is for problem 2, which is the problem i need help with
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3690/screenshot20091121at931x.th.png

2. The attempt at a solution

i've solved for 'w' when the rotating bar is vertical, as well as velocity tangential. my issue is the whole 'sweet spot' definition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You must have d, L and x=L/2 in your answer for v.
Hopefully the expression can be arranged so these appear together as d/L.
You are just asked to replace each d/L with Z.

I've attempted to solve the problem, found the centre of mass to be Xcm = (L+2d)/3. Not sure where to go from there, though.

Use your expression for the linear speed of the tip.
Replace every d/L with z.

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that are rotating or spinning. It involves studying the position, velocity, and acceleration of these objects as they move around an axis.

2. What is the difference between rotational and linear kinematics?

The main difference between rotational and linear kinematics is that rotational kinematics deals with the motion of rotating objects, while linear kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line. Rotational kinematics also involves concepts such as angular velocity and angular acceleration, while linear kinematics involves linear velocity and linear acceleration.

3. How is angular velocity calculated in rotational kinematics?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's angular displacement by the change in time. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (RPM).

4. What is the role of centripetal acceleration in rotational kinematics?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences as it moves in a circular path. In rotational kinematics, this acceleration is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path and is directed towards the center of the rotation.

5. What are some real-life applications of rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics has many real-life applications, including in the fields of engineering, physics, and mechanics. Examples include the motion of planets around the sun, the rotation of tires on a car, and the spinning of turbines in a power plant.