Calculating Wheel Revolutions with Rotational Kinematics

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the number of revolutions a bicycle's wheels make when traveling a certain distance. The solution involves finding the circumference of the wheel and dividing the total distance by it. However, there is some confusion regarding the correct way to divide and find the number of revolutions.
SnowOwl18
This problem is supposed to be easy, but I can't seem to figure it out.

----A bicycle with 62.8cm diameter tires travels 7.90km. How many revolutions do the wheels make? ----

I know I can use the circumference somehow...if anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the distance the bicycle travels in one revolution of the wheel?

Try finding the perimeter of the circle and then diving the total distance by it.

Since one circle perimeter = 1 revolution

So if I find the circumference and divide that by the total distance, I'd get how many revolutions? Because I did that...0.628mPi / 7900m = 2.49E-4...but the program says I'm wrong..hmmm...or if I multiply the two...it's still comes out wrong...yup, I'm still lost...sorry :/

You have the total distance 7900 M and you have the distance traveled in one revolution, .628 meters.

You're trying to find out how many revolutions go into the total distance.

Your goal is to figure out how many revolutions the tire must make in order to travel 7900 metres. In one revolution the tired travels .628pi metres. In two revolutions it will travel 2*.628*pi revolutions, in 3, 3*.628*pi. So how many revolutions must it make to travel 7900 metres?

SnowOwl18 said:
So if I find the circumference and divide that by the total distance, I'd get how many revolutions? Because I did that...0.628mPi / 7900m = 2.49E-4...
you divided wrong it's supposed to be total distance divided by the 0.628mpi

What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects as they rotate around a fixed axis. It involves the study of angular velocity, angular acceleration, and rotational motion.

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement with respect to time. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) and is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

How is rotational kinematics different from linear kinematics?

Rotational kinematics deals with the motion of objects as they rotate around a fixed axis, while linear kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line. Rotational kinematics involves the study of angular quantities, while linear kinematics involves the study of linear quantities.

What is the relationship between linear and angular velocity?

Linear and angular velocity are related by the equation v = rω, where v is linear velocity, r is the radius of rotation, and ω is the angular velocity. This equation shows that linear velocity is directly proportional to angular velocity and the radius of rotation.

How is rotational kinematics used in real-world applications?

Rotational kinematics is used in various real-world applications, such as in the design of machines and vehicles that involve rotating parts, such as engines, turbines, and wheels. It is also used in sports, such as in the study of the motion of a spinning ball in sports like baseball, tennis, and golf.