1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Kinematics

1. Feb 28, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A wheel rotates with a constant angular acceleration of π rad/s^2. During a certain time interval its angular displacement is π rad. At the end of the interval its angular velocity is 2π rad/s. What is its angular velocity at the beginning of the time interval?

2. Relevant equations
    angle displacement = (initial rotational velocity * time) + 1/2(rotational acceleration)time^2
    rotational velocity = rotational acceleration * time
    rotational velocity^2 = (initial rot. velocity^2) + 2(rotational acceleration)(angle displacement)

3. The attempt at a solution
    When plugging in the values into the third equation, I'm able to solve the problem and get the correct answer (π*sqrt2).

But I'm wondering what's wrong with my other way of doing it.
    I tried solving for the time by plugging in the final velocity and acceleration into the 2nd equation (2π = π*t), which gives t = 2.
    Then I plugged the values into the first equation to try to solve for the initial angular velocity (π = (initial rotational velocity x 2) + 1/2(π)2^2
    But that didn't work out. Is there a reason why?

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your formula for the rotational velocity is not complete. You have ignored the initial rotational velocity in it.

4. Mar 1, 2017 #3
    I see, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted