Rotational Kinematics

• Thread starter AlexH
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A wheel rotates with a constant angular acceleration of π rad/s^2. During a certain time interval its angular displacement is π rad. At the end of the interval its angular velocity is 2π rad/s. What is its angular velocity at the beginning of the time interval?

Homework Equations

angle displacement = (initial rotational velocity * time) + 1/2(rotational acceleration)time^2
rotational velocity = rotational acceleration * time
rotational velocity^2 = (initial rot. velocity^2) + 2(rotational acceleration)(angle displacement)

The Attempt at a Solution

When plugging in the values into the third equation, I'm able to solve the problem and get the correct answer (π*sqrt2).

But I'm wondering what's wrong with my other way of doing it.
I tried solving for the time by plugging in the final velocity and acceleration into the 2nd equation (2π = π*t), which gives t = 2.
Then I plugged the values into the first equation to try to solve for the initial angular velocity (π = (initial rotational velocity x 2) + 1/2(π)2^2
But that didn't work out. Is there a reason why?

Thanks for any help!

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Your formula for the rotational velocity is not complete. You have ignored the initial rotational velocity in it.

Likes AlexH
Your formula for the rotational velocity is not complete. You have ignored the initial rotational velocity in it.
I see, thanks!