1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Kinematics2

1. Apr 4, 2009 #1
    a) What is the angular displacement of the wheel at t = 0.7 sec with angular velocity of -6.9?

b) What is the angular displacement of the wheel at t= 3.5 sec with angular velocity of 1.5?

I thought all i did was to multiply (.7)(-6.9) to get angular displacement for the first one, thats wrong. so not sure anymore.

angular velocity= angular displacement/ time (right?)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

θ is usually expressed in radians / sec. So θ = ω * t looks ok unless the answer is looking for revolutions or degrees?

4. Apr 4, 2009 #3
    rad.. but how they wrote it , they gave me a graph with a line. y axis was angular velocity, x was time. i figured out the equation y=3x-9. so at t=.7 thats angular velocity of -6.9, and t=3.5, velocity 1.5.. but there looking for rad.

but regarding a, i get -4.83, but thats wrong (.7* -6.9)

5. Apr 4, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

They gave you a graph? And it has a slope? Then you don't have constant ω. You should have said so initially.

So that means then that you have to use the rotational analog to velocity equation for ω with your final ω = -2.1 by your statement ...

ωf2 = ωi2 + 2*a*θ

2.12 = 32 + 2*3*θ

See:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html#rlin

6. Apr 4, 2009 #5
    i am a little confused...where did the 2.1 come from?

7. Apr 4, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Sorry. Apparently so am I. I scribbled out my graph wrong from your description.

That should be initial ω of -9 and final ω of - (9 - 2.1) or -6.9

The method is the same though.

8. Apr 4, 2009 #7
    AHHHhhh, ok! makes sense... initial velocity is when x=0..haha ok

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook