1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Kinetic Energy

1. Oct 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A horizontal 813 N merry-go-round of radius 1.28 m is started from rest by a constant horizontal force of 66 N applied tangentially to the merry-go-round. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. Assume it is a solid cylinder. Find the kinetic energy of the merry-go-round after 2.68 s.

2. Relevant equations
    Weight = mg
    F=ma
    Vf=Vi + at
    tangential velocity=radius*angular speed
    Kr = 1/2 (moment of inertia*angular speed^2)
    moment of inertia = 1/2 Mass*Radius^2 for solid cylinder

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, using the constant force applied and the weight of the merry-go-round, I found the tangential acceleration: a = F * g / weight...Then I solved for the tangential velocity with Vf = a * t since it started from rest...then I solved for the angular speed:
    w = tangential velocity / radius. Then plugged all the numbers I found to solve for moment of inertia and rotational kinetic energy. My final answer is 94.31353 Joules. I entered it in the computer and I got it wrong. I'm not sure where my error is. pls advice. Thanx!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2007 #2
    oh. I should have considered torque...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?