Calculating Rotational Kinetic Energy: A Merry Go Round Example

In summary, to find the kinetic energy of a horizontal 800N merry go round with a radius of 1.50m after 3.00s, use the moment of inertia formula (I = 1/2 mr^2), the torque equation (torque = I * angular acceleration), and the kinematic formulas (ω = alpha*t). Make sure to use the correct force when calculating torque, and the answer should be 276J.
mizzy

Homework Statement

A horizontal 800N merry go round of radius 1.50m is started from rest by a constant horizontal force of 50.0N applied tangetially to the merry go round. Find the kinetic energy of the merry go round after 3.00s. (assume it is a solid cylinder).

Homework Equations

I = MR^2

KE (rotational) = I (omega)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is a straight forward question. I don't know where to start. I know there are a few unknowns: omega, angular acceleration, velocity.

can someone guide me please? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Use the torque to find the angular acceleration. Then use some kinematics. (That's just one way to go.)

Doc Al said:
Hint: Use the torque to find the angular acceleration. Then use some kinematics. (That's just one way to go.)

K. thanks. Here's what I did:

I found moment of inertia (I = mr^2). For m, i found that using the given weight, 800N.

I used the torque equation to find angular acceleration. (torque = I * angular acceleration) Where torque is equal to the Force * r. Once i got the angular acceleration, i solved for tangential acceleration (a = r * angular acceleration).

Then I found v using the equation, v = a*t.

Once I got v, i found angular velocity from the equation, v = r * omega.

THen finally I can solve for Kinetic energy! KE = 1/2 * I (omega)^2

my answer came up to 2.76 x 10^4J, but in the book it's 276J! :cry:

mizzy said:
K. thanks. Here's what I did:

I found moment of inertia (I = mr^2). For m, i found that using the given weight, 800N.
That should be: I = 1/2 mr^2.

I used the torque equation to find angular acceleration. (torque = I * angular acceleration) Where torque is equal to the Force * r. Once i got the angular acceleration, i solved for tangential acceleration (a = r * angular acceleration).

Then I found v using the equation, v = a*t.

Once I got v, i found angular velocity from the equation, v = r * omega.
That's OK, but there's no need to convert from angular quantities to linear then back to angular! The kinematic formulas work just fine for angular quantities:
Use ω = alpha*t instead of v = a*t.

(The fewer 'conversions' the fewer chances for arithmetic errors.)

THen finally I can solve for Kinetic energy! KE = 1/2 * I (omega)^2

my answer came up to 2.76 x 10^4J, but in the book it's 276J!
Give it one more shot.

k. I got the answer

ooops...i accidentally clicked on post reply.

In calculating the angular acceleration, i wrote down the wrong Force creating the torque. Instead of 50.0N, I used 500N! silly mistake!

Thanks Doc Al =D

What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation. It is dependent on the mass of the object, its rotational speed, and the distance of its mass from the axis of rotation.

How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for rotational kinetic energy is K = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where K is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

What is the difference between rotational and translational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its rotation, while translational kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its linear motion.

How does rotational kinetic energy relate to work and power?

Work is the transfer of energy, and rotational kinetic energy can be converted into work. Power is the rate at which work is done, so rotational kinetic energy can also be related to power.

What are some real-world applications of rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is used in many everyday devices, such as fans, turbines, and wheels. It is also important in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, where rotational energy is used to perform spins and flips.