1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Kinetic Energy

1. Apr 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You attach a mass M to a string and wind the string around the circumference of a wheel. The wheel has two hubs with radii R1 and R2 with R2 > R1. You perform two experiments. First you wind the string around the smaller radius wheel and allow the mass to fall a distance h. In the second experiment you wind the string around the larger radius wheel and allow the mass to fall a distance h. Rank the rotational kinetic energy Krot of the wheel for each experiment.

2. Relevant equations

1/2I(ω^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

Basically I was thinking that ω is independent of the radius so they would be equal
    but then if I=m(r^2) and ω = v/r then
    I(ω^2)=1/2m(r^2)(v^2/r^2) and the r's cancel out giving us rotational kinetic energy = 1/2mv
    So would the rotational kinetic energies be equal or would 1 be larger than the other?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Think about energy conservation. Where does the energy come from to turn the wheel?

4. Apr 3, 2012 #3
    Wouldn't it have came from the potential energy mgh?

5. Apr 3, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Is that a guess? :devil:

6. Apr 3, 2012 #5
    haha alright, I think I got it, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook