Rotational & Kinetic Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether two pucks, one rotating and one purely translational, have the same kinetic energy when the same amount of energy is applied to them. The conclusion is that the rotating puck has more energy because the force applied acts through a larger distance due to the rotating motion. The error in the attempted solution is assuming that the angular acceleration is equal to the linear acceleration divided by the radius, which is not true in general. The correct answer for parts A and B is that both pucks have the same center-of-mass-acceleration and their motion will be identical.
Dishsoap

Homework Statement

I am looking at part C.[/B]
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xal1/v/t34.0-12/12782422_10205657311624690_1648245885_n.jpg?oh=79b686a8b74392888fab0b070b86627d&oe=56F7E1E4

The Attempt at a Solution

Here I am looking at part C. My initial thought is that they have the same kinetic energy. For one puck, this is pure translational, and for the other puck, this is rotational + translational, but regardless the energy which is put into the system with no nonconservative forces acting will be transferred directly into kinetic energy (whether translational or rotational).

It is worth noting that I am actually the teaching assistant for this course, and I'm quite ashamed that I am getting the answer wrong; apparently puck 1 has more kinetic energy than two because it has rotational energy whereas puck 2 does not. I do not understand this argument... I do not understand why, when the same amount of energy is being applied to both systems, the pucks have two different kinetic energies. Maybe it has just been too long since mechanics :P Also, all systems are assumed to be ideal here (no energy is being "lost" due to rotation).

I do deserve being made fun of for this... let it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
From a force perspective, it is clear they both have the same acceleration and thus the linear kinetic energy term is the same for both, and so the rotating one has more total energy.

From a work-energy perspective, it's a bit more subtle. The incorrect line of thought that you are following is that the force F through the distance d does the same work. This is not true though, because although the center moves through a distance d either way, the contact point at which the force F is being applied is actually moving faster than the center, and so the force F effectively acts through a distance larger than d.

The power generated by F in the central-case is Fv, but in the tangential-case the power is F(v+ωR).

Likes Vibhor
Nathanael said:
From a force perspective, it is clear they both have the same acceleration and thus the linear kinetic energy term is the same for both, and so the rotating one has more total energy.

From a work-energy perspective, it's a bit more subtle. The incorrect line of thought that you are following is that the force F through the distance d does the same work. This is not true though, because although the center moves through a distance d either way, the contact point at which the force F is being applied is actually moving faster than the center, and so the force F effectively acts through a distance larger than d.

The power generated by F in the central-case is Fv, but in the tangential-case the power is F(v+ωR).

Ah! Thanks for clearing it up!

Could you please tell me if the answer (A), (A) and (A)? I've taken the puck to be a disk btw, so I = mr2/2.

erisedk said:
Could you please tell me if the answer (A), (A) and (A)? I've taken the puck to be a disk btw, so I = mr2/2.
The answers are (same) (same) (puck 1)

For parts A and B, since C is correct.
Case 1:
τ = Iα
RF = Iα
F = mR2α/2
α = a/R
a = 2F/m
s=ut+at2/2
t1 = ##\sqrt{\frac{ms}{F}}##
v1 = ##2\sqrt{\frac{sF}{m}}##

Case 2:
t2 = ##\sqrt{\frac{2ms}{F}}##
and v2 = ##\sqrt{\frac{2sF}{m}}##

Could you please point out the error?

erisedk said:
α = a/R
This is what led to your false answer. Why should this be true? (It's true when rolling without slipping, but it need not be true in general.)

The solution to part A and B boils down to this: we have two objects with the same mass and the same force applied on them, therefore they will both have the same center-of-mass-acceleration a=F/m. The motion of their centers will be identical.

Likes Vibhor
Oh, of course. Thank you so much!

1. What is rotational energy and how is it different from kinetic energy?

Rotational energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion. It is different from kinetic energy, which is the energy an object possesses due to its linear motion. Rotational energy is dependent on the object's moment of inertia and angular velocity, while kinetic energy is dependent on the object's mass and linear velocity.

2. How are rotational energy and kinetic energy related?

Rotational energy and kinetic energy are related through the concept of work. When a force is applied to an object, it can either cause a change in the object's linear motion (kinetic energy) or a change in the object's rotational motion (rotational energy). In other words, work done on an object can result in an increase or decrease in both rotational and kinetic energy.

3. Can an object have only rotational energy without any kinetic energy?

Yes, an object can have only rotational energy without any kinetic energy. This is the case when the object is not moving in a straight line but is rotating around an axis. For example, a spinning top has rotational energy but no kinetic energy since it is not moving in a linear direction.

4. How is the conservation of energy applied to rotational and kinetic energy?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. This applies to both rotational and kinetic energy. In a closed system, the total amount of rotational and kinetic energy will remain constant, even if they change between each other.

5. How is rotational energy used in real-life applications?

Rotational energy has various applications in real life, such as in the operation of machines and vehicles. For example, a car's wheels use rotational energy to move the vehicle forward. The flywheel in a car's engine also stores rotational energy to help maintain a consistent speed. In addition, rotational energy is used in power generation, such as in wind turbines and hydroelectric dams.