Solving Rotational Kinetics Homework: Angular Acceleration of Flywheel

In summary, the flywheel of a steam engine runs at a constant angular speed of 176 rev/min and comes to a stop in 2.8 hours due to friction and air resistance. To find the magnitude of the constant angular acceleration, you can use the equation a=(wr)^2 * 1/r. When the flywheel is turning at 88 rev/min, the magnitude of the tangential component of the linear acceleration of a particle located 53 cm from the axis of rotation can be found using the formula v/t. The magnitude
ohhi

Homework Statement

The flywheel of a steam engine runs with a constant angular speed of 176 rev/min. When steam is shut off, the friction of the bearings and the air brings the wheel to rest in 2.8 hours. What is the magnitude of the constant angular acceleration of the wheel? (Use units of rev/min^2. )

What is the magnitude of the tangential component of the linear acceleration of a particle that is located at a distance of 53 cm from the axis of rotation when the flywheel is turning at 88 rev/min? QUESTION 1 ABOVE DESCRIBES THE MOTION OF THIS FLYWHEEL.

What is the magnitude of the net linear acceleration of the particle in the above question?

Homework Equations

a=(wr)^2 * 1/r

rev/min = 2rad/min
rad/min = rad/60s
rad/s = (3.14d)m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted the problem by doing the conversion and plugging it into the equation, but I cannot get the right answer. Can someone please explain the fault in my reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
omega=176 rev /min =176/60 rev/sec
time taken = 2.8 hours.= 2.8*3600 sec
final omega=0
>>0=176/60 + alpha *2.8*3600
solve for alpha yourself.
you will get the answer in rev/sec^2.
divide it by 60 to get the desired result.

tangential acceleration=v/t
v is given by omega * radius of rotation
>>(176/60 * .53) this gives you the velocity of the particle. in rev/sec.

now tangential accln= v/t
>> [(176/60)*.53] / 2.8*3600

I'm confused as to what numbers to use. Am I using the numbers from the first problem or the second?

I can't get it to work out.

w =(88*.53)/60 *2pi = 4.88 rad/s

a_tan= wr = (4.88 rad/s) * (.53m) = 2.59 rad/s^2 = (pi)(d)(2.59) m/s^2 = 8.61 m/s^2

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis. It involves the study of rotational motion, angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

2. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2), and is represented by the symbol alpha (α).

3. How do you calculate the angular acceleration of a flywheel?

To calculate the angular acceleration of a flywheel, you can use the formula α = (ωf - ωi) / t, where α is the angular acceleration, ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time interval.

4. What factors can affect the angular acceleration of a flywheel?

The angular acceleration of a flywheel can be affected by the mass of the flywheel, the force applied to it, and the distance from the axis of rotation.

5. How can understanding rotational kinematics be applied in real life?

Understanding rotational kinematics can be applied in various fields such as engineering, sports, and transportation. For example, it can be used to design efficient gear systems, analyze the motion of a spinning top or a rotating planet, and improve the performance of vehicles with rotating parts.