Can cogging in permanent magnet motors be utilized for rotational movement?

In summary: It sounds like the first few seconds of this video.It uses a magnet and a compass.This video is even better. It uses a magnet and a compass.It uses a magnet and a compass.
physea
Hello

With a normal magnet, we use energy to position a particle away from the magnet and then the magnet does work and moves it close to the magnet.

Is there any way to have such movement being rotational? Ie to uae energy to move a particle or point clockwise and then the magnet will move it anticlockwise?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can place it on a rotating disk.

SemM said:

What do you mean??

I am not sure how you describe this system, maybe you should upload a sketch of what you are trying to explain.

SemM said:
Like this:

http://syberspace.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341e2e5053ef01156f08bf51970c-500wi
6a00d8341e2e5053ef01156f08bf51970c-500wi.jpg

Attachments

• 6a00d8341e2e5053ef01156f08bf51970c-500wi.jpg
    6a00d8341e2e5053ef01156f08bf51970c-500wi.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 707
Likes SemM
physea said:
Hello

With a normal magnet, we use energy to position a particle away from the magnet and then the magnet does work and moves it close to the magnet.

Is there any way to have such movement being rotational? Ie to uae energy to move a particle or point clockwise and then the magnet will move it anticlockwise?
There is one system where I can see the slave magnetic dipole rotating under the influence of a master magnetic dipole, but I'm not sure it is a stable system. Can you suggest some of the systems you have been thinking about?

Last edited:
Likes SemM
berkeman said:
There is one system where I can see the slave magnetic dipole rotating under the influence of a master magnetic dipole, but I'm not sure it is a stable system. Can you suggest some of the systems you have been thinking about?

Unfortunately I am only outlining my requirements, I am not aware of any systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
physea said:
Unfortunately I am only outlining my requirements, I am not aware of any systems.

You can use two rotating pendulums, bound to a ballbearing-tracked ring, where the magnet glides on. one with an inferior radius to the other. But I still don't get your original post. The pendulum like structure rotates about the center, instead of undulating back and forward, and hopefully the magnetic impulse each time they meet through rotating on the rings, they propagate one another to do another revolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
physea said:
Hello

It sounds like the first few seconds of this video.

This video is even better. It uses a magnet and a compass.

Likes berkeman
I think what he means is that he wants a particle to rotate along a circumference rather than move directly closer to the magnet. If this is the case, I assume you could have a dipole on rotating disc and a counteracting dipole on the opposite side of the particle to make sure the particle follows a circumferential path and doesn't curve into the dipole.

Attachments

• magnetic-flip-1200x800.jpg
    magnetic-flip-1200x800.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 391
Likes SemM
Most small cheap permanent magnet motors exhibit an effect normally called cogging. If you try and rotate them by hand they don't turn smoothly but have a preference for stopping in certain position. This appears to meet the requirement of the OP (although it only works over small angles).

1. What is a rotational magnetic field?

A rotational magnetic field is a type of electromagnetic field that is created when an electric current flows through a wire. This current generates a magnetic field, and when the wire is bent into a circular shape, the resulting magnetic field will rotate around the wire.

2. How is a rotational magnetic field different from a regular magnetic field?

A rotational magnetic field differs from a regular magnetic field in its movement. While a regular magnetic field is static and does not change position, a rotational magnetic field rotates around an axis, creating a dynamic and changing magnetic field.

3. What is the importance of a rotational magnetic field?

A rotational magnetic field has many important applications, such as in electric motors and generators. It is also used in devices such as MRI machines, which use a rotating magnetic field to create images of the internal structures of the body.

4. How can a rotational magnetic field be created?

A rotational magnetic field can be created by passing an electric current through a wire or coil. The strength and direction of the magnetic field can be controlled by changing the amount and direction of the current flowing through the wire.

5. Are there any potential dangers associated with a rotational magnetic field?

While there are no known health risks associated with a rotational magnetic field, strong magnetic fields can affect the operation of electronic devices and may cause interference with pacemakers or other medical devices. It is important to follow safety precautions and guidelines when working with strong magnetic fields.