Finding the Torque of Normal Force for a Sliding Block on an Inclined Plane

In summary, the question asks for the torque of the normal force acting on a cubical block of mass 'm' and edge length 'a' as it slides down a rough inclined plane with a uniform speed. The correct answer is given as \frac{1}{2}mga sin(alpha), despite initial confusion about the normal force exerting no counter-torque. The free body diagram must be drawn carefully, taking into account the offset of the normal force from the center, in order to correctly balance the torques. Ultimately, the correct answer can be found by considering the kinetic friction and taking the lowest point on the cube as the axis of rotation.
vkash

Homework Statement

A cubical block of mass 'm' and edge length 'a' slides down a rough inclined plane of inclination alpha radian with a uniform speed. Find the torque of the normal force acting on the block about its center.

On the back of the book answer is [itex]\frac{1}{2}mga sin(alpha)[/itex]
2. The attempt at a solution

I think the question is wrong. Am i correct?
The torque due to normal should zero since line of action of normal force makes zero angle with center.
this torque(as in answer) is of torque due to friction.

Is all the things i write here are correct

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is not wrong. Here is why.

I am sure you have drawn a free body diagram. Look at the (components of) forces along the incline: There is friction uphill and gsinθ downhill. They are equal and opposite because the speed is uniform and the acceleration is zero. This means that they form a couple. Couples exert the same torque regardless of reference point. So if the normal force exerts no counter-torque, how come the block is sliding and not rolling downhill like a die?

kuruman said:
The question is not wrong. Here is why.

I am sure you have drawn a free body diagram. Look at the (components of) forces along the incline: There is friction uphill and gsinθ downhill. They are equal and opposite because the speed is uniform and the acceleration is zero. This means that they form a couple. Couples exert the same torque regardless of reference point. So if the normal force exerts no counter-torque, how come the block is sliding and not rolling downhill like a die?
You are correct but the only force i can think of responsible for non rolling of this box is normal reaction. it is always perpendicular to plane so it must be in left with respect to center of mass of block(See attachemtn i draw a rough figure). am i correct?

Attachments

• Untitled 1.pdf
    1.6 KB · Views: 245
Correct. The normal force shifts off center just enough to make the net torque zero. If it didn't, the block would tumble which is not what's happening. So now you want to balance the torque generated by the couple with the counter-torque generated by the normal force.

kuruman said:
Correct. The normal force shifts off center just enough to make the net torque zero. If it didn't, the block would tumble which is not what's happening. So now you want to balance the torque generated by the couple with the counter-torque generated by the normal force.

Oh wow what a question. This is first time when i found that normal is not passing through center.
Is the free body diagram i draw(attachment in my last post) is correct?
In fbd ,backward force is friction ,normal to plane is normal reaction and forward one is due to gravity.

The FBD needs to be drawn a bit more carefully. The block needs to be a cube of side a, gsinθ must act at the center of mass and static friction must be drawn on the surface of the incline directed uphill. Call x the offset of the normal force from the center and find what x should be so that the torques are balanced.

kuruman said:
The FBD needs to be drawn a bit more carefully. The block needs to be a cube of side a, gsinθ must act at the center of mass and [size=+2]static friction[/size] must be drawn on the surface of the incline directed uphill. Call x the offset of the normal force from the center and find what x should be so that the torques are balanced.
what static friction. I think it should be kinetic friction.
I have done question thanks yaar. I take lowest point on the cube as axis of rotation and did it.

Yes, kinetic friction of course. "Static" was a typo.

What is rotational mechanics?

Rotational mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis. It involves understanding the concepts of torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is typically measured in radians per second and is represented by the symbol ω.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the shape and mass distribution of an object and is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

What are some real-life examples of rotational mechanics?

Some examples of rotational mechanics in daily life include the motion of a spinning top, the rotation of a bicycle wheel, and the movement of a carousel ride at an amusement park.