Rotational Motion -- a hollow ball rolls down a ramp

In summary, to find the speed of a hollow ball rolling down an inclined ramp, you must consider conservation of energy and the fact that the ball is rolling without slipping. This leads to the equation v^2 = (6/5)gd sin θ, where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, d is the distance along the incline, and θ is the angle of inclination. The moment of inertia for a hollow sphere is 2/3*M*r^2, not 2/5*M*r^2, which is for a solid sphere.
Homerr

Homework Statement

Starting from rest, ahollow ball rolls down a ramp inclined at angle θ to the horizontal. Find an expression for its speed after it's gone a distance d along the incline.

Homework Equations

I for sphere = 2/5*M*R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know we have to use v^2=u^2+2ax
and we have to find the angular acceleration however I am not sure how to relate both of them.

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing you'll want to note is that the ball is hollow. So 2/5mR^2 is the wrong moment of inertia.

Second I think you should think about conservation of energy.

I'm not a tutor or answer person for the site but I think this should set you on the right track.

Please mention if the ball does pure rolling or not.

The moment of inertia for a hollow sphere is 2/3*M*r^2. not 2/5*M*r^2 that's for a solid sphere.

Adithyan said:
Please mention if the ball does pure rolling or not.

The word "rolls" implies pure rolling unless otherwise mentioned

Consider the ball starting at rest at a height yi . It’s initial energy is entirely potential energy, so Ei = Mgyi .
As the ball rolls down the incline, to the right, it picks up speed and loses potential energy.
Since the ball is rolling it has both translational and rotational kinetic energy.
So, the final energy is

Ef = KE of trans + KE of rot + M g yf = 1 /2 M v^2 + 1 /2 I ω^2 + M g yf

, where v is the translational speed, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the rotational speed.
Conservation of energy says that

Mg (yi − yf ) = 1 /2 M v^2 + 1 /2 Iω^2

But, the change in height H = yi − yf .

Furthermore, from the geometry, H = d sin θ. Thus, we find

M g d sin θ = 1 /2 M v^2 + 1/ 2 Iω^2 .

Now, the condition that the ball roll without slipping means that
v = Rω,
where R is the radius of the ball. Thus, we have

M g d sin θ = 1 /2 M v^2 + (1/2) I ( v^2 / R^2) = M /2 (1 + I/ M R^2 ) (v ^2 ).

Now, we are told that the moment of inertia is I = 2 /3 MR^2 ,

and so:wink:

M g d sin θ = M /2 (1 + 2 /3) v ^2 = (5 M /6) v ^2 .

Canceling off the mass from both sides and solving for the speed gives

v^2 = (6 /5) g d sin θ

this the answer :smile:?:)?:)?:)

in rolling motions there are two types of kinetic term, translational motion and rotational one. let the ball start from rest at height of ##h## from the base and rolls a distance of ##d## along the incline. Using the conservation of Mechanical energy, we get
$$E_i=E_f \Rightarrow m g h_i=\frac 1 2 I \omega^{2}+\frac 1 2 m V_{CM}^{2}$$
Recall that translational velocity or center of mass velocity is related to the angular velocity by $$V_{CM}=\omega r$$ where ##r## is the distance between axis of rotation and point of impact with the ground which in this case is the radius of the ball. therefore
$$mgd\,\sin \theta=\frac 1 2 I \left(\frac {V_{CM}}{r}\right)^{2}+\frac 1 2 m V_{CM}^2 $$
which gives the velocity of the hollow ball (or translational velocity) at the incline as
$$V_{CM}=\sqrt {\frac {10} 7 gh}=\sqrt {\frac {10} 7 g (d\,\sin \theta)}$$
For more solved problems see,
https://physexams.com/exam/Rotational_Motions/15
https://physexams.com/exam/work_and_energy/3

Likes hanoon

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point, where the object rotates or spins instead of moving in a straight line.

2. How does rotational motion differ from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves an object moving around an axis, while linear motion involves an object moving in a straight line. Additionally, rotational motion involves the concept of angular velocity and torque, while linear motion involves velocity and acceleration.

3. How does a hollow ball roll down a ramp?

A hollow ball will roll down a ramp due to the force of gravity pulling it downwards. As the ball moves down the ramp, it also experiences a torque or a turning force, which causes it to rotate.

4. What factors affect the rotational motion of a hollow ball down a ramp?

The rotational motion of a hollow ball down a ramp can be affected by various factors, such as the angle of the ramp, the mass and shape of the ball, the surface of the ramp, and any external forces acting on the ball.

5. How is rotational motion related to the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is directly related to the distribution of mass in an object. The greater the moment of inertia, the more energy is required to overcome the object's rotational motion.