Rotational Motion and Torque: Solving for Angular Acceleration

In summary: First my Torque equation is wrong. It should be 1/2 WL cos(sita) since the weight is exerted in the middle. Then it should be 2/3*a(tangent)=g*cos(sita)2/3*cos(sita)*a(tangent)=g*cos^2(sita)cos(sita)*a(tangent)=a(vertical to ground)which should be at least equal gso 2/3=cos^2(sita)sita=cos-1(squr(2/3))It is correct now. You can improve the formatting to hit the
Brucezhou
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1406347041.423667.jpg
The question is the first part of Question 63. It is required to make a proof. What I was trying to do is to build a equation with Torque= Moment of Inertia * angular acceleration. But when it was simplified to 3g cos(sita)= r* dw/dt, it seems not easy to solve it, since both of sita and dw/dt are not constant. What can I do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get your equation? It is not correct.

You have to prove that the vertical component of the acceleration of the end of the rod is greater than the acceleration of the ball. ehild

Let Wr cos(sita)=1/3 mr^2* dw/dt.
Simplify it then get:

3g*cos(sita)=r*dw/dt

ehild said:
How did you get your equation? It is not correct.

You have to prove that the vertical component of the acceleration of the end of the rod is greater than the acceleration of the ball. ehild
Could you suggest a way to solving the problem? I don't have a standard answer key and I don't know where I got wrong. I have published my method above

Brucezhou said:
Let Wr cos(sita)=1/3 mr^2* dw/dt.
Simplify it then get:

3g*cos(sita)=r*dw/dt

What is W?

ehild

Brucezhou said:
Could you suggest a way to solving the problem? I don't have a standard answer key and I don't know where I got wrong. I have published my method above

The answer is written in the problem text. You do not need to solve the differential equation. As both the ball and the rod start from rest, you only need to show R what condition is the acceleration of the released ball smaller then the vertical acceleration of the end of the rod.
First you need the correct expression for the torque.

ehild

ehild said:
What is W?
ehild
weight

ehild said:
The answer is written in the problem text. You do not need to solve the differential equation. As both the ball and the rod start from rest, you only need to show R what condition is the acceleration of the released ball smaller then the vertical acceleration of the end of the rod.
First you need the correct expression for the torque.

ehild

Thank you a lot. I have solved. First my Torque equation is wrong. It should be 1/2 WL cos(sita) since the weight is exerted in the middle. Then it should be
2/3*a(tangent)=g*cos(sita)
2/3*cos(sita)*a(tangent)=g*cos^2(sita)
cos(sita)*a(tangent)=a(vertical to ground)
which should be at least equal g
so
2/3=cos^2(sita)
sita=cos-1(squr(2/3))

It is correct now.
You can improve the formatting to hit the button "go advanced". On the right, you find Greek letters like θ (theta) or mathematical symbols like √ (square root) . Above you see the symbols x2 and x2: you can use x2 to write power (32=9) or inverse function θ=cos-1(2/3). x2 is used when indexing quantities. For example, when you write ∑xi=0. Explore!:smile:

ehild

1. What is rotational motion and torque?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around that axis.

2. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Linear motion involves movement in a straight line, while rotational motion involves movement around an axis. Additionally, linear motion is measured in units of distance (such as meters), while rotational motion is measured in units of angle (such as degrees or radians).

3. What factors affect rotational motion and torque?

The two main factors that affect rotational motion and torque are the magnitude of the force applied and the distance between the force and the axis of rotation. Other factors that can affect rotational motion include the mass and shape of the object, as well as any external forces acting on the object.

4. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance between the force and the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is T = F * r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

5. What are some real-world applications of rotational motion and torque?

Rotational motion and torque have many practical applications in everyday life, such as in the operation of vehicles, machines, and tools. They are also important in sports, such as in the movement of a ball in sports like basketball and soccer. In addition, rotational motion and torque are essential in the functioning of various mechanical systems, from engines to gears to propellers.